1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Pat Summitt diagnosed w/dementia?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by BYH, Aug 23, 2011.

1. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I don't know if this is an urban legend, but a friend who is a Tennessee graduate told me a story about some game in the NCAA Tournament where a player on an opposing team went to the free throw line with a chance to tie the game. The player went to the line and just before she got ready to shoot, she looked at Summit and then completely choked the shot. For the second one she did the same thing and then threw up an airball.

2. spurtswriter

spurtswriter Member

Such overwhelmingly sad news. As great a coach as she is, she's an even better human being, as the above stories show. My mother has dementia. I can attest to the long, heartbreaking road Pat and her family have ahead of them. My heart goes out to them.

3. Shoeless Joe

Shoeless Joe Active Member

This is bad stuff. I truly hate it for her (or anybody, for that matter).

I've interviewed her a few times. My funny story is I was at a high school game one night and coming out of the bathroom at halftime I swung the door open and smacked someone. I said "Sorry ... Oh, hey, Pat." and kind of went on. She said sorry for blocking the door. Someone nearby said "You just hit Pat Summitt with the door!" all freaked out. I told him I didn't give a crap who it was they were standing on the wrong side of a door with no windows. Wasn't my fault.

4. Shaggy

Shaggy Guest

Interviewed her at one of the women's basketball hall of fame ceremonies in Knoxville several years back. Super nice and helpful, even to a young kid doing a story that had little to do with her.

Hate to hear this.

5. BYH

BYH Active Member

The graph about her son accompanying her to Mayo made me sad. A college junior should be sneaking into bars during the summer. not growing up too fast by taking his Mom to Mayo.

I've told my Summitt story here, when I was writing a piece for a bumfuck paper about a hotly recruited kid when Summitt shows up to practice. I think, goddamn, I have to ask her SOMETHING, even if I can't ask her about the kid. Could not have been any nicer to me, a young kid from the middle of nowhere. I hope she is able to beat the odds with this and live her life on her terms for decades to come.

6. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

Imagine it.

7. exmediahack

exmediahack Well-Known Member

I haven't been as close to her as many of you - but her team did play a non-con game at my alma mater 15 years ago and it was an incredible atmosphere.

I've always respected her willingness to "grow the game", understanding that you get more flies with honey when dealing with media (and our dumb questions).

8. Mizzougrad96

Yeah, he's that arrogant, that much of an asshole and he hates Summit that much...

9. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Sad, sad news.

10. Liut

Liut Well-Known Member

Seconded, and thanks to those who have posted their memories.

11. Mizzougrad96

I feel very lucky and blessed that I was able to interview John Wooden and Pat Summitt during my career.

There are very few people in sports on any level that just ooze class. I remember after talking to her and thinking, "Wow, I wish they were all just like her..."

12. suburbia

suburbia Active Member

Geno's statement, per the Hartford Courant:

""I was shocked and saddened to hear about the news regarding Pat Summitt's diagnosis. You don't necessarily associate dementia with people our age so this announcement really put things in perspective. Pat has great support from her family, friends and staff and I know they will help her immensely. There is no doubt in my mind that Pat will take on this challenge as she has all others during her Hall of Fame career - head on. I wish her all the best."

http://blogs.courant.com/uconn_womens_basketball/2011/08/geno-auriemma-shocked-saddened.html

Draft saved Draft deleted