1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Pat Summitt diagnosed w/dementia?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by BYH, Aug 23, 2011.

1. BYH

BYH Active Member

2. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

3. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

Was Geno spreading more rumors?

Godspeed, Pat.

4. rmanfredi

rmanfredi Active Member

Confirmed in an interview with the Knoxville News-Sentinel:

http://www.govolsxtra.com/news/2011/aug/23/pat-summitt-diagnosed-early-onset-dementia/

5. blacktitleist

blacktitleist Member

Terrible. Just terrible.

I was at a coaching clinic in Knoxville several years ago when I was still coaching prep hoops. She was one of the speakers, along with Kevin O'Neill, Bob Huggins, and Gary Williams.

She gave everyone there her office and home phone numbers and told us not to hesitate to call her if she could ever be of help to us.

I got up the courage to call her in the office one day to talk me through one of her zone offense sets. nary expecting a call back once I left the message.

About 45 minutes later, Pat Summit was calling my house and answered every question I could muster during our five minute conversation.

Amazing coach, great woman. Pure class all the way.

6. Mizzougrad96

What are the odds on Geno making a tasteless crack about this at some point this season?

7. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

He'll take the high road for a week.

8. suburbia

suburbia Active Member

I can't imagine that even Geno, as un-PC as he can be at times, would do something like that.

9. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

Wasn't Geno the one tossing out the lesbian rumors on the recruiting trail?

10. Mizzougrad96

My situation was similar... I was just out of school and I was doing a feature on a local coach who had been one of her assistants. I called the SID, told them what I was doing but was told she was on vacation.

If memory serves, she called me, left a message and gave me three numbers to call her back on. We continued to play phone tag and at one point she said, "I'm sorry I keep missing you, but let me tell you a story about (her) and leaves an anecdote that wound up being my lead. I finally got her on the phone, we talked for probably close to an hour and she said, "You know, there's a great picture of her with me. I'll have it sent to you."

This was way before photos were emailed, but she had it FedExed to me the next day. It was a great photo that wound up being the main art for a Sunday feature.

After the story came out, she called me to tell me how much she liked the article.

Just one of the nicest and classiest people ever. I don't pay much attention to women's hoops, but I'm always happy when Tennessee wins and she's the only reason why.

11. Mizzougrad96

He's done that for years...

12. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Zero....I hope.

Great, great lady. My favorite story about her was when she was in my coverage area watching a recruit play in the state finals. She told the girl, after she signed, that if she led her school to the state finals, she'd be there. So it wasn't a public thing, she was trying to blend into the crowd. But our photographer spotted her and started clicking away.

Later, back at the office when we were looking at the negatives (yeah I'm old), there was one shot where Summitt spotted the photographer and burned a hole through the camera with her famous glare. Made you jump back from the table. Awesome.

Draft saved Draft deleted