1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Pat Summitt 1, Raccoon 0

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by John, Mar 8, 2008.

1. John

John Well-Known Member

Legendary Lady Vols coach recovers from encounter with raccoon

The Associated Press
    Published on: 03/07/08

Nashville — Tennessee coach Pat Summitt didn't look too uncomfortable Friday, jumping up and down on the sideline in the Southeastern Conference tournament.

Not bad for someone who dislocated a shoulder in an encounter with a raccoon.

Summitt had taken her golden Labrador out for a walk Wednesday night when they came back to find the raccoon on the deck at her home.

"I momentarily lost it," Summitt told WBIR-TV in Knoxville. "The raccoon was about to attack. I just knocked it off the deck, and fortunately nothing happened but a dislocated shoulder, and it's back in place."

Summitt showed no sign of injury Friday in Nashville, and she told the TV station the shoulder wouldn't bother her at the SEC tournament. And she learned a lesson about dealing with raccoons.

"When I realized what could have happened, it almost brought me to tears," she said. "It wasn't very smart on my part."

-- I still don't understand how she dislocated her shoulder during the, um, scuffle or whatever the hell it was.

2. beefncheddar

beefncheddar Guest

Jeff Kent wishes he had thought of that.

3. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

I think the lesson we all learned here is: Don't ever mess with Pat Summitt.

4. BYH

BYH Active Member

Geno Auriemma is making up stories about this as I type.

5. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

Knowing Auriemma, I'm sure this will be used against Pat Summitt in recruiting.

"Not only did she get divorced, but she also threatens animals, especially those in a position to threaten her. Do you want to play for a monster like that?"

6. Cadet

Cadet Guest

This kicks ass.

7. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

Pat Summit: Toughest coach alive!

8. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

She needs Old Dan and Little Ann to tree that coon.

9. BYH

BYH Active Member

"I'm not saying she was trying to have a relationship with the animal. I'm not. But I can tell you I have never been in a compromising position with a raccoon."

10. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

All I know is, Geno Auriemma better not meet her in a back alley. He might not come out of it alive.

11. D-3 Fan

D-3 Fan Well-Known Member

Rule #3 of Fight Club: do not mess with Pat Summitt.

Rule #4 of Fight Club: do not mess with Pat Summitt, and do not talk about Fight Club!

8)Hope Vivian and Geno are taking notes.

12. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

Awesome.

Draft saved Draft deleted