1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Pat Summerall on Best Damn Sports Show

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Corky Ramirez up on 94th St., Oct 14, 2006.

1. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Not to offend the moralists on the board, but my personal favorite Summerall broadcasts were when he and Tom Brookshier, his original CBS partnet BTW, would do the Sun Bowl every year. The ONLY topic of non-football cross-talk were their misadventures in Juarez the nights leading up to the game. High if edgy comedy. At that time, nobody knew how sick Summerall was due to alcohol, especially not him.
    For all I know, Brookie is still pounding them down somewhere.

2. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Train wrecks can be fun to watch, yes, sir.

Set your Tivos for this Cotton Bowl. Better yet, tape it. It'll be in demand for blooper
    reels for decades to come.

3. GuessWho

GuessWho Active Member

Hey, I remember one of those. At a big civic luncheon the week of one Sun Bowl I covered, the minister giving the invocation in front of 2,000 people or so asked God to "bless our brothers Pat and Tom as they make their way back across the border."

Funniest prayer ever.

4. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

Actually, wasn't Brookshier the lynchpin in the intervention that straightened Summerall out?

Probably half the people on here don't remember the Summerall-Brookshier tandem, CBS' No. 1 crew before Madden took over. Summerall's style was a LOT different with Brookshier, even as a kid, I could tell there was a lot of good-time swagger going on in their booth.

It was in stark contrast to Dick Enberg and Merlin Olsen on NBC. Enberg is a pro's pro, but Olsen came off so pious and serious compared to Brookshier, it's no wonder he was viewed as annoying, even though compared to today's analysts he had a good voice and had decent analysis.

5. Birdscribe

Birdscribe Active Member

"Madden would drive anyone to drink... which explains Pat Summerall."

This threadjack brought to you by Frank Caliendo.

Carry on.

6. Pancamo

Pancamo Active Member

I can't stand listening to Bill Maas or Brian Baldinger. Madden wannabes and know it alls.

7. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

You don't mean the Bill Maas who brought us "Lions haven't been this endangered since Siegfried and Roy," do you?

8. Johnsonville

Johnsonville Member

Early over/under line on "I beg your pardon" being said by Pat: 20

9. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

Summerall sucked royally when he was filling in for Mike Patrick two years ago.

Draft saved Draft deleted