1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Pat Jordan on Chasing Jose Canseco

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Double Down, Apr 2, 2008.

1. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

What were they grabbing?

2. Frank_Ridgeway

Frank_Ridgeway Well-Known Member

I talked to Seaver once when he was with the Reds, and another time I was there when he said to the herd, "Sorry, guys, not tonight." He was firm but polite.

One time during the Carlton era I was in the Phils' locker room and Pete Rose was the only Phillie who would talk, except for one pitcher (I forget his name) who would speak in Spanish to a Spanish-speaking reporter, but apparently not about much. Geez, what a bunch of bubbly, chatty guys in that locker room. If that had been my beat, I'd have lost my mind by the All-Star break.

3. Smasher_Sloan

Smasher_Sloan Active Member

Seaver was always a prickly shithead, but I suspect he talked to the Times because he had a personal relationship with the writer rather than because it was the Times.

4. Joe Williams

Joe Williams Well-Known Member

Yeah, Smasher, you're right. I figured that pretty quickly afterward, too. But as a relative newbie to the business, it stung and I disliked the guy from that point forward. Guess I failed by never having thrown harder than him, a la Mr. Pat Jordan.

5. fletch b. fletch

fletch b. fletch New Member

The last game at the Vet, the Phillies brought back all of their past stars, including Steve Carlton. It was a great event, a really touching ceremony that saw Tug McGraw relive his celebration after the final out of the 1980 World Series. Afterward, a couple of us went up to Carlton in the old-timers' locker room, seeing if he would comment about the days' festivities. "Not today guys." What about seeing all of his former teammates and taking in the applause from the crowd? "Not gonna happen." I know he had this media boycott, but come on, that was like 20 years ago.

6. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

I thought he got over that later in his career, actually did some talking?

By the way, I liked this piece by Jordan. Did anyone click on the provided link in the story about how to fix SI? I'm sure the fine folks there loved the line about getting their asses kicked by ESPN. I thumbed through an SI today for the first time in a while and there's more of "the Mag" in it than I realized. And I'm not saying that's a good thing.

Knock me on my ass with lots and lots and lots of great writing. Please. I beg you. Fuckabuncha graphic tricks.

7. FileNotFound

FileNotFound Well-Known Member

I remember when Carlton started talking, and he said some pretty weird stuff. I liked him better when he was silent.

8. hockeybeat

hockeybeat Guest

9. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

The last graph of Jordan's story is killer. The rest is filler.

10. MacDaddy

MacDaddy Active Member

"Uh, Steve, this is the only day. It's not like you're going to be here tomorrow."

11. silentbob

silentbob Member

I'm a big Jordan fan. Nothing real poetic about his writing. He just gives it to you straight. A very understated style, but a style nonetheless. Just finished "A False Spring" not long ago and have started "A Nice Tuesday." ... Will probably buy his collection that just came out, if I don't get it for Father's Day, as requested. Amazing that he's survived just on freelancing all these years.

12. jimmydangles

jimmydangles Member

Draft saved Draft deleted