1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Pat Forde/Rick Pitino ethics

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by WaylonJennings, Mar 29, 2009.

1. Piggybacking on the Joe Torre/Tom Verducci thread ...

Just heard Forde talking up Pitino as a master strategist, motivator and everything in between on ESPN Radio. Now, I'm a big Pitino fan, as well. Watching his teams up close has been one of the great joys of my sports writing career - just the way they snap out of the full-court press and right into smothering half-court defense makes my own thighs and calves burn. I love it.

That being said ... Forde did a book last year with Pitino, correct? "Rebound Rules"?

So ... is Forde obligated to disclose this when showering the man with praise over the radio? When writing about him on the .com?

2. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Obligated? No. Should he? Yeah, especially when he gushes.

3. silentbob

silentbob Member

See Posnanski thread ... sportswriters taking themselves too seriously.

So if someone wrote a book on Ali, would they not be able to say he was a great boxer?

Forde is only under obligatgion to disclose the book if he stuck up for Pitino when the coach was in some sort of trouble.

4. Jersey_Guy

Jersey_Guy Active Member

You were better off staying silent, Bob.

Posnanski clearly says in that essay/post that we're much better off with the stronger ethical standards of today. Having ethics does not mean you can't love and have fun with sports.

Of course Pat shouldn't be gushing about Pitino without disclosing that he wrote a book with him.

The fact is, he shouldn't have written the book. I don't think anyone should write a book "with" any coach or athlete if they want to comment on them in the future. Period.

5. I, for one, never wanted to work for the "toy department." I always considered covering sports as a combination entertainment/business/education beat, and I like to think my work reflected that.

I personally don't think sports writers, as a whole, take themselves seriously enough.

6. clutchcargo

clutchcargo Active Member

I assume Forde is also willing to knock Pitino when warranted----like, for instance, the second half of today's game against Michigan State. Louisville seemed unable to make any sort of adjustment to MSU's defense and it only got worse as the game went on. That's a coahcing issue.

What say you, Pat Forde?

7. EagleMorph

EagleMorph Member

Yeah, that really killed Dick Schaap's credibility...

8. spnited

spnited Active Member

Wow. Talk about taking yourself way too seriously.

9. silentbob

silentbob Member

Jersey, I know what Joe wrote.

Ethics are great. Lord knows we all need to be reminded of them once every month or so.

But just because Forde wrote a book with Pitino does not mean he has to disclose it whenever someone asks his opinion on Pitino.

Now if Pitino was being investigated for rules infractions, then yes, absolutely he does.

10. Jersey_Guy

Jersey_Guy Active Member

Well, Bob, that's one opinion.

Here's another one: I can safely say that if you were working for me, and you wrote a book with anyone, you wouldn't be commenting on them ever again. Period.

As for Schaap, it's a somewhat different situation. His primary gig was book author, not daily print/web/broadcast journalist. I think people knew who he was, and what he was, and judged what he said accordingly.

And, Waylon, of course I"m with you, and no, you're not taking yourself too seriously.

11. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Cut the guy a break. He's good people who does good work.

12. Never did I dispute that. In fact, I went out of my way to say I agreed with what he was saying.

But I get tired of these conflicts of interest being dismissed because it's "just sports." It was the same garbage a year ago with the APSE judging, when the MLB.com employee was judging. "He's good people!" and "You can trust him!"

You guys would all be OK with it if Chuck Todd ghost wrote Robert Gibbs' autobiography then? If Joe Klein ghost wrote a book with Joe Biden? No problem with that at all?

And spnited, king of the drive-by insult, no need to really address your post at all.

Draft saved Draft deleted