1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Pat Forde Q&A on Ohio State/Jim Tressel reaction piece

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by TMitrosilis, Jun 7, 2011.

1. TMitrosilis

TMitrosilis New Member

Hey Fellas,

Like the recent one with Wright Thompson, did a Q&A with Pat Forde. When the Tressel news broke, Forde went to Columbus to write a piece on the mood of Columbus and the reaction of the student body. He answered a few questions about it and thought some here would like to hear what he had to say: http://bit.ly/mqz0Bu

-Teddy

2. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

TM,

I thought this was a good job. Bravo.

Really nice insights into how a reporter approaches a story.

Many writers will turn their noses up at the man-in-the-street interviews, but other really good writers make their first stop at a strange town at the coffee shop to see what the locals have to say.

Bottom line to me is the worst thing you can do as a writer is turn in the same story that everyone else is doing. Forde seems to try very hard to stay out of that box.

3. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

I agree, though I do believe I read at least one or two other national stories going for the Columbus reaction. In addition, ESPN has such a large staff that it can afford to send Forde out for a story like this, while others need to cover the basics.

I'd also point out that no one on ESPN would ever rip the NCAA the way Jason Whitlock or Tommy Craggs did, and while I know those are two polarizing names, they had a great point and said what others were pussyfooting around.

As far as the interview, I thought it was another solid Q&A -- and the introduction was an improvement (though still pandering).

Also, you have Terrel Pryor listed in one of the questions.

4. TMitrosilis

TMitrosilis New Member

Thanks for the feedback guys, glad you enjoyed Forde. There may have been other national stories similar to Forde's, but a man can read only so many Ohio State stories!

Re: the intros. It's a personal blog, so I just try to share a couple thoughts then get out of the way. Don't think it's ever going to be groundbreaking. Really just want to share the Q&A. And thanks for pointing out the typo on Pryor. Gotta do better than that.

-Teddy

Draft saved Draft deleted