1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Pat Forde a little misleading?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Thanks for comin' out, Sep 3, 2006.

1. This is what was on his story today:

After being tackled awkwardly by Kentucky linebacker Wesley Woodyard early in the third quarter, Michael Bush's season is over. Maybe his college career, too.

I understand its a first story against deadline, but it would make more sense to me if he left out a fact or statistic, not add one that is impossible to prove at that time.

My raging jealousy towards Pat Forde has now been uncovered. The motive behind this thread was a 114-step process I planned out to take him down, then steal his job, wife and family. I apologize to all concerned. And Mrs. Forde.

Sorry.

2. Pringle

Pringle Active Member

Whitlock shouldn't get so protective of other big-timers. This is a good teaching moment - be careful what you assume in the heat of the moment about the eligibility of college players.

It might seem minutia to us, but fans today are hyper-informed. They have players' remaining eligibility down cold, down to the last guy on the scholarship roster, trust me.

3. Moland Spring

Moland Spring Member

Aside from the fact that I don't see anything wrong with what Forde wrote, isn't he a columnist? This is his opinion. So if he thinks Bush's career is over, that's what he writes. It may not turn out to be true, but this is a column. As far as I'm concerned, it's the same as saying, "The coach called a bad play." Whether he did or not, it's a column, so he's allowed... Right?

4. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

That doesn't work. He's the night editor in position to change it all the time, and he does. Five nights a week. And if the others on the other two nights let one of those slip through, they have to hear it from him.

5. An overstatement seems to have resulted in excessive commentary, including this one.
    It can't be known whether he'll play in college again, though it seems likely he won't.
    Forde figured that out and corrected appropriately.

6. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

Multiple outlets have reported today that Bush's injury rehab is going to take six to eight months. Bush had surgery this morning to treat multiple fracture (tibia and fibula) and is staying in the hospital tonight.

Draft saved Draft deleted