1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Pat-downs for everyone! NFL to go all TSA on us

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by MisterCreosote, Sep 16, 2011.

1. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

You couldn't make me go to an NFL game -- especially at the Meadowlands.

How long did it take you to get out of the parking lot after the game Boom?

2. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

5 minutes to get out. I park on median right by exit to RT 3 West - zoom right out.

3. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

If I were to ever go to a game there again, I want exact instructions to this location.

I've been trapped in that lot before for over an hour. In fact, coming from Manhattan, the best way was the bus, as they had express lanes in and out of the Stadium. Coming out of the Port Authority Bus Terminal, they also get right into the tunnel with no delays.

4. Smasher_Sloan

Smasher_Sloan Active Member

I'll give you something to feel, Rod McKuen.

5. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

You get it -- that's the play. It's a shade inconvenient incoming, but it's great, leaving.

For a long time, the best, easiest escape in the region has been out of South Philly . . . excellent, efficient exit routes from Phillies/Eagle business.

6. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

It is actually quicker to get to the Phillies-Eagles complex from my old home in Wilmington, Delaware than from a good percentage of the neighborhoods inside the Philly city limits.

7. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Also true.

8. Rosie

Rosie Active Member

Sooooo........

Can anyone tell me about security measures at the Metrodome?

I was given tix for tomorrow's Vikings vs. Broncos game and this will be the first game I've gone to at the Dome since I covered one about a month after Sept. 11.

It's a four-hour drive to the Dome and I'm just wondering if I should leave even earlier than I already planned (I was planning on arriving downtown around 10 a.m.)

I won't give my opinion on the pat-downs (and, according to the Vikings website, the banning of large purses - mine's borderline so I have to switch out, grrr!)

9. Lieslntx

Lieslntx Active Member

I can't answer about the Dome, but I can say that after these measures were put into place by the NFL, things at Reliant got just the tiniest bit more secure. Instead of just a swipe around the middle, they started going down the arms and legs and did two swipes around the middle.

Having said that, I got an email yesterday from Reliant saying that they have beefed up their security even more for the upcoming game. The email said they will be patting us down even more and using metal wands in addition to the existing metal detectors.

It made wonder if something happened that I didn't hear about to cause them beef it up even more. Or why they are beefing it up so late after the orders came down.

10. Rosie

Rosie Active Member

Great. Metal detector wands. I can see them not letting my hubby in with all the metal rods and screws he has in his back.

11. Lieslntx

Lieslntx Active Member

They ended up not having any of those at the entrance I use. They did mention in the email that it was something they were going to roll out at various entrances and work up to having them at all of them. They did, however, move the pre-screening area back. Considerably. So, we went through the first step at a temporary area, then went through the normal first station and had nothing happen at all, then went through the normal second area. It was really weird.

Draft saved Draft deleted