1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Pat-downs for everyone! NFL to go all TSA on us

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by MisterCreosote, Sep 16, 2011.

1. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Nice....

2. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Recent experience at West Point included two sustained security delays (at the gate commencing the lengthy parking process, and while presenting tickets for admission) which will easily add one hour+
    to your home-to-seating time, unless you get there absurdly early . . . no exaggeration . . . you are treated with marked, extreme courtesy, but it does wear you down . . .

3. holy bull

holy bull Active Member

You could name him Frisky!

4. holy bull

holy bull Active Member

This was my patdown experience at the Ralph today:

We made the 10-minute walk from Erie CC parking lot to Ralph a little earlier than usual to avoid the crush. Hit the gate at 12:22.

Security must have just opened up four or five patters to the side of the main crush as we walked up, because I waltzed right up to a guy, he patted me (yeah, he was an actual official patdown guy), walked through, showed my ticket and walked in. This, while about a thousand people who got there 5-10 minutes before us were still stalled in the usual bottleneck.

So, no conclusions can be drawn. Just a lucky break. I was wearing shorts, so I had nowhere to stash the taser I wanted to use on Chan Gailey when he chose to kick a field goal when the Bills were down 14-0. I'm not a Bills fan, I just thought that was pussy.

5. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

Went to the Skins game yesterday. Got to the gates, they checked my wife's bag, patted us down and let us in. Took all of 10 seconds.

I've always said the NFL experience is horrible. And, for the most part, it is. But yesterday was fun. Got to the parking lot a few hours early, hung out at a friend's tailgate and generally had a great time. Fortunately, no one attends Redskins games, so my wife and I basically had the entire row to ourselves. Great seats, too.

It wasn't the worst experience of my life, that's for sure. Other than when Bad Rex showed up in the first quarter.

6. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Went to Jet game. Got to gate at 12:40 . Had my 12 year old niece with me. They had lines for male and female but no "family" lines.
    Had to find only line which had male and female lines next to each other. No way I was leaving my beautiful niece alone with Jet fans.

Did not get in until 1:05 missed Kickoff and Santonio Homes TD.

Really an annoying experience, rendering PSL's further worthless at
    Life Insurance Park.

7. JackReacher

I don't understand those who show up to sporting events like that so close to the start. I've always been stubborn about getting to events super early. I hate rushing at the last minute, shoving my way past all the donks outside the stadium. Waiting in the lines at the gates. Fighting the crowd up the escalator/ramp. Pushing past the idiots standing around doing nothing and being generally useless in front of the portal. Making an entire row full of people stand up right at kickoff so I can get to my awful seats. Just seems easier to get there early and avoid all that mess.

Then again, I'm sure there are often circumstances and situations that don't allow for that.

8. Layman

Layman Well-Known Member

Nah, gonna name him Smasher. Just feels right....

9. Boom_70

I do not think that getting to gate at 12:40 and expecting to be in your seats for a 1:05 kickoff is an unreasonable expectation.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 1, 2015
  10. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Even post-9/11? Especially after some taser-bearing idiot breezed in . . . where was that?

11. JackReacher

You get to the gate of an NFL game 25 min before kickoff, you're just begging to be at your seats late. You just are.

12. Boom_70

With the new system you are. Teams are not going to protest because it will get people into stadium sooner to buy $10 beers and
    burgers.

Draft saved Draft deleted