1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Pat-downs for everyone! NFL to go all TSA on us

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by MisterCreosote, Sep 16, 2011.

1. holy bull

holy bull Active Member

I'm going to the Bills game on Sunday and will get into the patdown crush earlier than usual. Two years ago I was thisclose to dropping water waiting to get through the massive bottleneck at the gate.

And of course that means I buy one more overpriced stadium beer and drink one less free Blue in the Erie Community College parking lot.

2. MTM

MTM Well-Known Member

It's a lot more than 12 seconds, because you have to wait for everyone else in line ahead of you to be patted down as well.

And it's also the presumption that you're guilty of something before you walk into the door.

If they have to check, I'd rather see metal detectors, but that's a pain for everyone to take everything out of their pockets.

3. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

Going to an NFL game has to be the least enjoyable sporting event. I'd rather drink my own colder, far less expensive beers and eat my better, and far less expensive food. Not to mention all the insane money you have to pay to park, the jerks you have to deal with, and all that. The "atmosphere" just isn't worth it.

4. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

At what level will you draw the line in the sand- mandatory strip searches?

5. TrooperBari

TrooperBari Well-Known Member

The incessant TV timeouts alone would be enough to put me off.

6. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

It's theater. Do pat-downs stop people from getting beaten to a pulp? Do they stop the drunk guy from puking on your kid?

7. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

This, this, a thousand times this. I have a PSL and season tickets to the Jerry-dome, but I go to one game a year. Just enough to remind me why I don't go to more.

8. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

NFL security problem number one is drunk, abusive fans getting in fights. Does this policy prevent that? Hell, no.
    NFL security problem about number 14 is terrorism. Does this policy prevent that? Hell, no. It has been obvious to me since the first event I attended after 9/11 that the time to attack a sports event is when it's over and the crowd is leaving the venue. Still the opportunity for mass carnage, and security is intent on herding your victims towards you.
    This policy is simple dickishness. We abuse our fans because we can. It's the precise equivalent of night playoff games in sub-zero weather.

9. Bob Cook

Bob Cook Active Member

I thought at first this was just for the Colts' home opener, so fans would have nothing with which to shoot themselves when they saw their Manning-less team in person for the first time.

10. schiezainc

schiezainc Well-Known Member

Yes because getting a 12-second pat down is DEFINITELY the same as forcing someone to take off all their clothes.

11. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

I make 60,000 fans at 12 seconds per fan to be about 200 man hours of work. That's a lot. If you have 100 entrances to a stadium, and that's way high, that's 2 hours total to get 'em all in. Oh, this'll work well.

12. Lieslntx

Lieslntx Active Member

As a season ticket holder that doesn't miss a game, I don't really mind the extra time it will take. Honestly, the crap they pulled before this was so useless that it didn't amount to any sort of a check.

And I really just don't see how it will logistically take all that much more time to get the people in. It's not like all 60,000-85,000 people stream in at the same time.

Draft saved Draft deleted