1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Pasting newspapers' stories onto your site: Is it legal?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by tapintoamerica, Mar 11, 2009.

1. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

Here's a story http://blackathlete.net/artman2/publish/Baseball_20/Making_sense_of_Manny.shtml apparently written in the Boston Globe but cut and pasted onto another, profit-seeking site.

Even though the tag line offers some attribution, this isn't exactly like linking to the Globe's story, is it? When you read the story, you're not redirected to the Globe. I've got a hard time believing the Globe or any paper would allow its copy to be taken verbatim so that consumers can read it without going to the paper's site.

Or am I wrong?

2. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

Globe should sue them.

3. silvercharm

silvercharm Member

You're not wrong. And if the Globe catches it, my guess is they'll call blackathlete.net on it.

4. Gomer

Gomer Active Member

Unless the Globe made a side deal with that site, it's illegal.

5. pseudo

pseudo Well-Known Member

Like Gomer says -- unless they cleared it beforehand, it's clearly copyright infringement. There's a story by Susan Slusser on there, too, as well as ones from AP and the Houston Chronicle.

Their legal notice:
    For some reason, I think a few of these people might be surprised to discover that they're now "correspondents" for this Web site, which obvoiusly uses a different definition for "news gathering" than the one I learned.

6. tapintoamerica

OK. I was unaware of said threads. It's still an issue worthy of discussion.

7. Some Guy

Some Guy Active Member

We've got certain message boards in this neck of the woods that do this thing, too. I've reported it to our web folks, but nothing ever happens.

8. tapintoamerica

A perfect example of why our business is going to hell. The product is being given away for free and nobody seems capable of stopping it.

9. Angola!

Angola! Guest

There is a Rivals.com message board in Texas which loves to steal stories and post them completely in posts.

One time I asked the site owner to please post links to our site and to quit claiming I was a correspondent for his site.

He didn't like me calling him out, but he no longer does it.

10. pseudo

pseudo Well-Known Member

We have people who try to do it on our board, then get bitchy when I either nuke them or edit them down to a short excerpt. Eff 'em. Those stories belong to the originating sites, not any schmoe who knows how to cut-and-paste.

11. pseudo

pseudo Well-Known Member

Since you were allegedly a correspondent, did you also ask him for a paycheck for those stories?

12. Angola!

Angola! Guest

Ha. I'd never even thought about that.

Draft saved Draft deleted