1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Pasties!

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Vombatus, Sep 18, 2017.

1. Vombatus

Vombatus Well-Known Member

No, not those kind.

This kind:

13 U.P. Pasties you must try on your next visit

Hat tip to spikechiquet and his Yooper connection that led me down a U.P. rabbit hole to this story.

I had never heard of these. Anyone else have a story about regional food that is not well known?

spikechiquet likes this.
  2. SpeedTchr

SpeedTchr Well-Known Member

Cornwall is the place to truly enjoy a good pasty.

3. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

Had never heard of kolaches until I moved to Texas. Now, no trip south on 35 is complete without a stop in West for a "Piping Hot Chubby."

Twirling Time and Vombatus like this.
  4. SpeedTchr

OK, Senator Craig :)

Seriously, The Czech Stop is fabulous.

doctorquant likes this.
  5. Jake_Taylor

Jake_Taylor Well-Known Member

Goddammit, I haven't had me a kolache in far too long.

6. Spartan Squad

Spartan Squad Well-Known Member

Had a Cornish Pastie in Stratford this last Summer. I wish I was back there eating one now ... well not now as it is 5 am back there but I would be looking forward to lunch of a Pastie nonetheless.

Pro tip: Don't eat one with stilton and go on a three-plus hour car ride right after.

Last edited: Sep 19, 2017
    Vombatus and SpeedTchr like this.
  7. spikechiquet

spikechiquet Well-Known Member

I am racking my brain on how you ended up on this LOL ... It's funny you did yesterday since my wife made pasties for dinner on Sunday night.
    And ketchup only....effin' trolls and their gravy garbage. Save that for mashed potatoes and fried chicken!

The list is solid. My hometown went 2-3...but I would say Jean Kay's is better IMO.

Another UP-centric food is cudighi. It's an Italian/Yooper sausage that has clove and cinnamon and it's fried like a hamburger patty. There are two ways to serve it: with yellow mustard and white onions or else with marinara and mozz on a hard crusty roll (although I have been known to mix cudighi into my pastie recipe from time to time, eh?)
    [​IMG]

I Should Coco and Vombatus like this.
  8. Vombatus

Vombatus Well-Known Member

I got there from your MLive cheeseburger review link, and saw a pasties review link after the story and just HAD to peek.

9. spikechiquet

Ahhhhh. I thought perhaps is was the increase in hockey posts! LOL
    I'm still celebrating the 1991 NCAA National Championship for NMU and the 1995 MHSAA State Title for MSHS! :)

Vombatus likes this.
  10. Twirling Time

Twirling Time Well-Known Member

Pronounced pass-ty in Britain. Don't know about the UP.

spikechiquet likes this.
  11. SpeedTchr

I would never in my life think of putting ketchup on a pasty.

Here is what a real one looks like:

[​IMG]

12. spikechiquet

Only 37.5% of it is food? What's in the rest?! LOL
    Turnips would be interesting. My mom's has carrots and rutabagge in addition. She would cube half of the ingredients and then grind the other half together when I was little (with one of those old fashioned clamp to the counter grinders) because I always got mad when my ingredients would fall out.
    I believe every Tuesday in elementary school was pasty day. Papa Paul's (another local maker in Marquette) made mini pasties for the kids and sold them to the school.
    "7 days for a Yooper without a pasty makes one week." LOL

Vombatus likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted