1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Passport requirement postponed to at least Summer '08

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by JR, Jun 20, 2007.

1. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Homeland Security said that it was non-negotiable, that it was a slam-dunk, that as of January 1 08 anyone entering the U.S. by land would require a passport.

Well, I guess the "cast in stone" pronouncement by Fredo's admin ran into a little logistical difficulty.

But yesterday's rule relaxation amount to an admission by the Bush administration – already swamped by passport applications – that it cannot possible meet the original deadlines requiring passports from Canadian and Americans crossing the land border.

Funny how the reality thing keeps popping up with these guys.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/servlet/story/RTGAM.20070620.wpassport0620/BNStory/International/home

2. Diabeetus

Diabeetus Active Member

That'd be the first admission of anything they've made.

3. Pilot

Pilot Well-Known Member

Wow.

They pushed the deadline back and you still criticize them? Damn, you guys really will jump on the Bush administration for anything and everything.

If they wouldn't have changed it, you would have bitched. If they had never tried the passport thing in the first place, you would have bitched. Then push it back, and you bitch.

4. JR

JR Well-Known Member

You missed the point by about 10 kilometres.

I don't have a dog in this fight.

What's revealing about all this isn't that they decided to postpone it but the fact that for the past 18 months they've presented this as a fait accompli despite the protests from American and Canadian business and tourist groups.

There'd be no changes, no compromise, no discussion, in short the usual "fuck you"

And then when they actually have to implement it, they don't have a clue how to do it.

Very symbolic.

5. Diabeetus

Diabeetus Active Member

I didn't say that this wasn't needed at all. I just think this happens to be the first in a long line of things they should admit.

6. WazzuGrad00

WazzuGrad00 Guest

This is simply delaying the inevitable.

It's going to be a clusterfuck whenever the regulations are put into place.

7. JR

JR Well-Known Member

I agree.

The thing is, there are alternatives to passports that would still fulfill all the security requirements

I'm a bit of a skeptic though. The really, really, really bad guys who want to get into the U.S will figure out a way.

Commercial trucking constitutes the vast majority of U.S./Canada border crossings and I can tell you there are more regulations regarding that than you can possibly imagine.

Here's what I think: contamination of the food supply chain is what Homeland Security/FDA should be guarding against.

And if there's another attack it will come by sea, not by land or air.

8. spup1122

spup1122 Guest

I'm pretty sure they'll just keep delaying this until there is a new president to clean up Bush's mess. It's their way of making the next president look as bad as Bush when one of the first things he/she must oversee is a clusterfuck.

Draft saved Draft deleted