1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Passport question

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by melock, Jan 23, 2008.

1. melock

melock Well-Known Member

Do you need one to go to Canada? It's obvious I don't travel much :'(

2. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

As of right now, it depends how you're traveling. If you're flying, yes. If you're coming by land or water, then no, though as of Jan. 31, you will still need to prove citizenship to re-enter the U.S. You'd need a notarized copy of your birth certificate or naturalization document, plus a photo ID. Alternately, a passport also works.

The land and water rules will change eventually. It's just a question of when.

So do you need a passport? No. Would it be more convenient to have one? Yeah.

(And officially, you don't need these things to go TO Canada. You need them to come back.)

3. OnTheRiver

OnTheRiver Active Member

You can carry a picture of Jones. They also accept that.

4. melock

melock Well-Known Member

Much obliged.

5. Angola!

Angola! Guest

I used to have a passport, but it expired and I have no idea where it is now. How do you go about getting one?

6. melock

melock Well-Known Member

http://travel.state.gov/passport/passport_1738.html

7. Angola!

Angola! Guest

Well, that sucks. I have to go into an office because my old passport was issued to me before I turned 16.

8. bagelchick

bagelchick Active Member

I would highly recommend that you get one, because you will eventually need it to go anywhere outside the U.S.

9. zebracoy

zebracoy Guest

I was lucky when getting a passport in December (of all times). Got it just because I wanted to get one. Took me two weeks.

So if you decide to get one, don't worry about the rush treatment. They're actually pretty smooth right now.

10. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Draft saved Draft deleted