1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Passport question

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by hockeybeat, Jul 4, 2007.

1. hockeybeat

hockeybeat Guest

My passport expires in May, so I began picking up the necessary renewal forms yesterday. Save for two headshots and the processing fee, I'm done.

But will my new passport be issued right away, or do I have to wait until it gets close to May 2008?

2. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

If right away means six weeks, you are golden.
  3. hockeybeat

hockeybeat Guest

Since I'm not going anywhere this summer, six weeks is absolutely perfect.
  4. Del_B_Vista

Del_B_Vista Active Member

There's a pretty severe backlog of passports right now, so whatever timeframe they promise to deliver in normally are a bit out the window:

5. Pastor

Pastor Active Member

I believe it works as the sooner you submit it, the sooner it will be renewed. If you wait, and you need to go somewhere, you will end up with a problem.
  6. beefncheddar

beefncheddar Guest

FWIW, I just got mine back a week ago. Took eight weeks from the time I mailed off the application.

If your passport is set to expire in the next year, why wouldn't you just go ahead and renew it? That way you don't have to worry about it later.

I find it hard to get worked up MOST OF the many stories of people who were having trips of a lifetime ruined because the government couldn't get them their passport back in the normal time.

If you had ANY kind of trip planned and just waited ANY kind of time to get your passport after it was announced that you'd need a passport to go pretty much anywhere, then you need to blame yourself.
  7. Rusty Shackleford

Rusty Shackleford Active Member

Six weeks? Ha! My wife and I had a vacation planned, and she needed her last name changed since our marriage, and it took them 13 weeks (promised 8) and she got it the day before we left after having spent countless hours on the phone with the offices of senators, passport agencies, congressmen, etc. If you don't have anywhere in particular to go or any necessary timeframe, I wouldn't be surprised if it took four months while they process passports for people who are leaving soon.
  8. beefncheddar

beefncheddar Guest

Which is why ANYONE and EVERYONE who even thinks they might want to take a trip anytime in the next year should send away NOW.

Heck, if you don't have a passport, now would be the ideal time to go ahead and get one.
  9. KJIM

KJIM Well-Known Member

You can renew at any time. There's a backlog, but it should be issued in a couple of months. If you don't have any upcoming trips this summer, there's no reason why you shouldn't go ahead and renew now.
  10. ServeItUp

ServeItUp Active Member

Get it done now. This is, after all, our government we're talking about.
  11. T2

T2 Member

When applying for a renewal, is it necessary to send in your existing passport so it can be canceled? If so, you'll have neither passport, existing nor new, in your possession for several months. During that time, you'll be unable to leave the country.
  12. beefncheddar

beefncheddar Guest

Yes, you must send in your current passport. I'm not sure what the rules are on traveling while between passports. Interesting question.
Draft saved Draft deleted