1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Passport Advice

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by PeteyPirate, Jul 9, 2008.

1. PeteyPirate

PeteyPirate Guest

Here's the scenario: I'm supposedly off to Italy on July 25th. I moved at the beginning of June, and I can't seem to find my passport. I'm sure it's in here somewhere, but there's no guarantee it will show up in the next couple of weeks. I Googled "emergency passport" and got all kinds of options for services that can get me a new one in as little as two days, but don't know if they're reputable. Anyone ever done this before?

2. writing irish

writing irish Active Member

Yeah, they're reputable. You pay someone to walk the documents through the various offices. Check around if you have concerns, but in general, this is a legit type of service. I had to get a passport in less than a week a few years back and all went well with the service I used. Can't remember the name, but it was in NYC.

3. PeteyPirate

PeteyPirate Guest

Thanks very much. Now a bump for the day crew.

4. 21

21 Well-Known Member

If you're near a passport office--and even if you're not but can get to one--you should do it yourself. The passport ordeal is a minefield these days; you don't need your vacation ruined because someone didn't get the job done.

5. PeteyPirate

PeteyPirate Guest

If I go to a passport office, how long does it take?

6. 21

21 Well-Known Member

You should call and ask. The rules have changed dramatically over the last year due to increased security and new laws requiring more people to get passports....I know people who have lost their vacations because of passport trouble.

7. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

I went through this three weeks ago. A week before leaving the country I noticed my wife's and my passport had both expired in March.

If you're in a city with a passport office, you're probably in luck. You can request an appointment for an expedited passport if you are traveling within (I believe it was) two weeks. In my case (NYC) I had to make an appointment by telephone. That appointment was two days before scheduled trip at 8:30 a.m. You bring documentation of your planned trip, passport photos and appropriate i.d. Also bring a checkbook. I had to come back after 1 p.m. same day to pick up passports.

8. Rambler

Rambler Member

What Cranberry said. I picked up my passport the day I had my appointment. But make the appointment now--I had to wait two weeks to get in.

9. PeteyPirate

PeteyPirate Guest

Just made the appointment for Monday morning.

10. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

You're set then. If you're like me you won't sleep well until you have the passport in hand, though. Just remember to bring all of the necessary documentation, photos and a check. Good luck.

Draft saved Draft deleted