1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Passover Coke and MexiCoke: A challenger appears

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Mystery_Meat, Mar 8, 2009.

1. Mystery_Meat

Mystery_Meat Guest

In a nod to the early days of cola, Pepsi will release this year some soft drinks using sugar instead of high-fructose corn syrup.

In select cities, Pepsi is rolling out Pepsi Natural, a premium cola made from natural sugar, caramel, kola nut and apple extract.

Natural will be available in Chicago, Cleveland, Pittsburgh, Los Angeles, San Diego, San Francisco, Seattle, Portland, Ore., Las Vegas and New York.

Pepsi also will release Pepsi Throwback and Mountain Dew Throwback, which will both use sugar and come in retro-look packaging.

The Throwback products will be available across the United States for eight weeks starting April 20.

Coca-Cola and Pepsi both use cane sugar in Latin America. In the United States, they switched to high-fructose corn syrup in the 1980s.

Government regulations in Latin America support the use of sugar while U.S. policy makes corn syrup more affordable here.

Coca-Cola has no plans to release Coke in the United States with sugar, said company spokesman Dan Schafer.
  2. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

Another reason why Coke is made of fail.
  3. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

I think Coke makes a Kosher Coke that is available in December.

Using real sugar makes a hell of a difference from what I am told.

I will say, though, Jones Cola I guess is from pure sugar and I did not like it at all. It tasted very flat.
  4. 21

21 Well-Known Member

Wait til they find out about matza with salsa.
  5. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Dublin Dr Pepper is the same: made of real sugar and not HFCS. I was in Stephenville this weekend, but now you can get it at just about any store here.
  6. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

I've never had Jones Cola...but the Jones Cream Soda with Pure Cane Sugar tastes like liquid cotton candy. I would start a religion to it if I wouldn't drink the savior every week.
  7. Mystery_Meat

Mystery_Meat Guest

Besides, the Catholics have you beat by a couple thousand years.
  8. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Hooray -- it will be passover year round, Now if they can just go back to glass bottles also.
  9. Mystery_Meat

Mystery_Meat Guest

The throwback drinks are supposed to be an eight-week deal. The Pepsi Natural will be in a glass bottle and permanent, I believe, but right now there's just 10 markets targeted for the product.
  10. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

If the throwback drinks are as popular as I think they're gonna be, they'll be back on a periodical, semi-permanent basis.

Passover season is obviously prime time, but they're rolling it out well afterward.
  11. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

Don't know how many of you've ever had them, but drinks with sugar are, indeed, the bomb. My Central and South American travels never ended without a 12-pack or six making its' way onto the plane.
  12. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

Costco here carries cases of Mexican Coke. Great stuff.
Draft saved Draft deleted