1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Passive acceptance of no space?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by BB Bobcat, Sep 10, 2007.

1. BB Bobcat

BB Bobcat Active Member

I cover an MLB team that is out of it. That, combined with the general space crunch, has left my bosses telling me I have very little space quite often these days. I just covered three consecutive games with no notebook (just notes tacked on to the gamer). That's probably the first time in 10 years that has happened.

Anyway, if I just go along without complaint, am I...

a) a good team player who doesn't want to make waves, or
    b) a lazy beat writer who ought to be coming up with good stories that force the editors to squeeze them into the paper

This is an honest question, because part of me feels guilty that I'm contributing so little, but the rest of me says the guys inside appreciate the fact that I'm doing what I can to ease the space crunch.

2. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

I have the perfect solution. This is easy, really. I mean, once I figured it out, I couldn't believe how well it worked.

See what you do is[edited for lack of space]

3. captzulu

captzulu Member

Frankly, I can never imagine reading the game story for all 162 games in the season, much less a game story and a notebook from every game, especially if the team is lousy. In this day and age, having enough space for substantial game story and notes from each game really seems more like a luxury than a must-have. Since the team's games don't really have much of an impact on its season anymore, can you do something where you write a short gamer and spend more of your allotted space on interesting notes instead? Or how about putting the notes online and refer to them from the story?

4. BB Bobcat

BB Bobcat Active Member

The game stories are featurized as is, whenever possible. There have been days I've just mentioned the score, and that's it.

Still, however you slice it, it's 15 inches instead of 30. It's not much.

5. imjustagirl2

imjustagirl2 New Member

15 inches is more than we give to most anything.

Be happy you're getting that much.

6. spnited

spnited Active Member

Why do you need 30 inches a day on a baseball team that is dead in the water?
    Our standard is 16" gamer and 8-10" notebook on two teams that will play deep into October.

If space has been cut, deal with it and do what you're asked to do. It's called professionalism.

7. BB Bobcat

BB Bobcat Active Member

I'm not complaining, believe me. it's like a vacation writing half as much as I'm used to. the point is that I feel guilty about not complaining. :)

8. imjustagirl2

imjustagirl2 New Member

Don't feel guilty. It's what we've come to.

if the team was in the pennant chase, then you can bitch. But 15 inches on a team that blows? Jesus, what do you want to write?

9. rpmmutant

rpmmutant Member

It's our job to complain. Whether it's the star first baseman hitting .130 with RISP or your editor cutting your legs out, you need to complain. Then write the best 15 inches you possibly can.
    Just be smart about how you complain. Whining about space isn't going to get you more. Finding stories worth 20 or 30 inches might get you more space.

10. pressmurphy

pressmurphy Member

Ask the SE about being able to write notes/sidebars for the paper's website. Yeah, it's a tiny bit of extra work for the desk, but the diehard fans will appreciate the effort.

11. John Taylor

John Taylor Member

not calling you lazy, but (b) is the obvious answer.

spend the time you would have spent working on a notebook or an epic gamer on digging up a different/special type of story. you always should be looking for "good stories that force the editors to squeeze them into the paper." And that probably gets you on the front page as well, which no notebook will do.

less space is a reality of today's business that no amount of bitching is going to change. the idea is to make the best of that space.

12. hockeybeat

hockeybeat Guest

Why not write the sidebar(s) and notebook(s) for the website?

Draft saved Draft deleted