1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Passenger 57-0245823--Snipes gets the max

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Riddick, Apr 24, 2008.

1. Twirling Time

Twirling Time Well-Known Member

I was ready to defend Mr. Mays Hayes till this:

Snipes maintained in a years-long battle with the IRS he did not have to pay taxes, using fringe arguments common to "tax protesters" who say the government has no legal right to collect. After joining Kahn's group, the government said Snipes instructed his employees to stop paying their own taxes and sought $11 million in 1996 and 1997 taxes he legally paid.

Mmmmkay.

2. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

Nah man, you saw U.S. Marshalls. If Tommy Lee Jones can't catch him, no-one can.

3. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

And of course every one is innocent as the driven snow, aren't they?

4. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

Didn't you know? No one in jail is guilty.

5. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Sorry, I don't have a whole lot of sympathy here. Yes, he was made an example of due to his celebrity. But he could have paid his frigging taxes too. I doubt he'll serve the full three years, btw, with good behavior and whatever else.

And for wasting the court's time with a letter from Woody Harrelson, the judge should have tacked on another six months.

6. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

thanks pookie.

7. Double J

Double J Active Member

Wonder if someone will arrange for Snipes to fight Iceman Chambers while he's in the big house?

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0281322/

8. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

There is no whatever else. There's good behavior, and that's it. No parole in the federal system. I believe you get 54 days good behavior credit per year, though I think the transition process back out of prison can include serving the last few months at a halfway house or some such.

9. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

Only you could try and spin this in some other direction. Correction, only you and a handful of others on this board.

Never mind that many of the people are in prison for laws which make no sense (the point of highlighting that is to hopefully bring about changes to said unjust laws...but don't let that get in your way).

Draft saved Draft deleted