1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Pass the cranberry sauce, we’re having mashed potatoes!

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by doctorquant, Nov 15, 2017.

1. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

That's Northeast Philly, where WIP callers hang out.

2. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Look at that map ... Strawberry Mansion is a great name.

Formerly known as Summerville, the neighborhood takes its name from a house known as Strawberry Mansion, at one time housing a restaurant known for strawberries and cream. Strawberry Mansion was home to a number of Philadelphia's wealthiest families in the 19th Century. In 1880, The average home price was higher than 85% of the houses in Philadelphia.[1] It became a mixed-income, predominantly Jewish neighborhood, but since the middle of the 20th century the neighborhood has been struck by economic decline and urban decay. In 2000, the neighborhood had the lowest average home price in the city.

Modern Strawberry Mansion has acquired a reputation as one of the most dangerous areas of Philadelphia.

WTP_A13_youcanlookitup_1.jpg

3. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

That's clear on the other side of the city than where I'm talking about.

On your map, start at University of Pennsylvania and go about 35 blocks west.

4. Songbird

How many Leandro's can there be? lol

Screen Shot 2017-11-16 at 8.53.56 AM.png

5. MisterCreosote

Strawberry Mansion is home to Maureece Rice, the guy who broke Wilt Chamberlain's city scoring record.

That's all I got.

Songbird likes this.
  6. Songbird

[​IMG]

Continuing my player profiles (because I know you love them), I'm going to take you through the short, sordid career of Maureece Rice. Rice, a 6'1" 225 pound guard, has the body-type of Khalid El-Amin and scoring prowess of Wilt Chamberlain. Interesting, huh?

How he got here

Maureece Rice grew up a playground legend in North Philly, emulating the game of another Philadelphia star, Allen Iverson. I can't find any sources to confirm this, but I believe he once said "North Philadelphia, born and raised, on the playground is where I spent most of my days."

When he was 10 or 11 years old, he dropped 40 in a city league game and people were impressed. Once he grew up, he kept scoring in large amounts. At Strawberry Mansion High School (doesn't that sound lovely?), he broke Wilt Chamberlain's Philadelphia High School all-time scoring record. Of course he did it in four years while Chamberlain did it in three, but there aren't many people that can say they broke a Wilt Chamberlain scoring record, so I'm going to give him props. He also crossed up LeBron James in high school, even though it was a 30ish-point loss.

Maureece Rice: D-League Player Profiles

7. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

I have driven through that area, but only the part close to Fairmount Park. It's scary, but not "run the red lights" scary. I imagined it gets "Bonfire of the Vanities" scary if you venture in a few blocks east, though.

8. MisterCreosote

Fun fact: I was at the Palestra when Rice “crossed up” LeBron. He then proceeded to airball a 3.

Hermes and Michael_ Gee like this.
  9. Songbird

LOL on the airball.

10. MisterCreosote

Kobe would have the city scoring record if he had gone to high school a few miles farther east.

11. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

Just curious ... do you like any chains? I mean, I understand; some people don't.

12. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

FYI, I was inspired by this thread and had a Reuben for lunch yesterday.

BurnsWhenIPee likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted