1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Pass the cranberry sauce, we’re having mashed potatoes!

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by doctorquant, Nov 15, 2017.

1. SpeedTchr

SpeedTchr Well-Known Member

I actually much prefer a local joint run by a couple brothers from Siena for pizza, but I can't afford the prices there very often.

2. cjericho

cjericho Well-Known Member

What are the prices? You're in Texas? Most places in NJ and NY (maybe not NYC, lot of places are a ripoff) a good pizza place about the same as CiCi's, Papa John's, Dominos, etc. Haven't been to Tex in about 15 years, but had decent pizza in Cedar Park, forget the name.

3. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

I went to Seamless and got pizza about a year ago from a place near me and it was amazing and reasonable. Went to order it again a month later and the joint had closed.

4. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

This is my secret food hatred. I have no sweet tooth. Can't abide candy. When I was a little kid, other kids fought over who would go trick or treating with me because they knew I'd give away the candy I got. I seldom have dessert and have fruit when I do. BUT, I will make an exception for apple pie at holidays, made with a lot of cinnamon and as little sugar as possible.

5. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

We split time between NY and Philly. NY is where we want to be. Philly is where we have to be some of the time b/c of Ms. Ragu's work. I am so not a Philadelphia person, yet, that is where I am a lot of the time.

There is a neighborhood pizza place in our NY neighborhood that has been there for probably 60 years. I could eat it every day, even though I don't. In fact, pizza is such a weakness that I rarely eat it anymore. I just dream about it.

I think one tell about how good that neighborhood place in NY is,is that a lot of cops eat there. They seem to drive out of their way to grab their slice there. There is always a police car double parked out front. Aside from that, there are several other pizza places within walking distance that have respectable slices. And then, a couple of old brick oven or coal fired places that are reasonably close that have good sit-down, by the pie pizza. The area is pizza heaven.

Philly? The pizza is absolute shit (sorry, no other way to put it). I have found one or two barely edible slices (let's face it, even somewhat bad pizza is still pizza) and a couple of sit-down pie places that are OK (not great, just OK). But for a place that has a reasonable number of Italians, it boggles me how they have lost (or never found) that part of their heritage.

6. The Big Ragu

You and I are similar after all, see? I don't have much of a sweet tooth, either. I am mostly savory, not sweet. Cheese and salt are my weaknesses in life. You can tempt me with crappy desserts all day long and I will pass. But stick a pizza in front of me and I might go all cookie monster on it.

7. Michael_ Gee

Oh, my yes. Salty snacks are my downfall, that plus the alcohol calories that accompany them. I lose control over Bugles, Fritos, etc.

8. Michael_ Gee

For reasons that I don't know but would make an interesting longform piece, Philadelphia's Italian community entrepreneurs opened delis and sub shops, not pizza places. Mortadella's gain is pepperoni's loss.

9. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

Go to Leandro's on 69th Street. Right down the street from the Tower Theatre.

10. The Big Ragu

You will probably laugh -- and I know I deserve to be laughed at. But I never venture above, say, 36th Street, and the only reason I am ever up there is that UPenn went and stuck their campus there. But seriously, thanks for the tip. I just looked. ... it's not too far of a hike, and I honestly never have explored around there. I may give it a try.

11. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

You can take the El*!

* -- Through some really shitty neighborhoods.

12. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Does Marvin Harrison hang out anywhere near there?

Screen Shot 2017-11-16 at 8.43.44 AM.png

Draft saved Draft deleted