1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Pass the cranberry sauce, we’re having mashed potatoes!

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by doctorquant, Nov 15, 2017.

1. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

Been dieting since mid-July. I’ve lost 30+pounds and 4 inches off my waist (and coat size). Fucked up my golf game something fierce, but I don’t care.

Looking forward to next Thursday more than I ever thought possible. I’m adding a twist to the routine in that I’m actually going to haul my old ass out of bed squirrelly early and run in a 5K, but after that the diet is temporarily off ... and it’s gonna be so on!

Homemade Reuben sandwiches (with kettle-fried potato chips), washed down with a Mimosa or Bloody Mary, for lunch. Roast turkey, Southern dressing (“stuffing” to all you Yankee heathens), gravy, baked macaroni and cheese, green bean casserole, yeast rolls. Chess pie and pumpkin pie for dessert. Gewurztraminer and a really nice Chardonnay. A homebrewed golden ale if there’s a spare moment.

Anybody else already in the preliminary throes?

Webster and YankeeFan like this.
  2. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Since the diabetic diagnosis in August I'm down from 305 to 278. Had potatoes just once -- last week during dinner with the parents at Lawry's. Sucks because I love potatoes.

I do cardio 40 minutes every morning. Starting Friday I'm going to go at least an hour every day leading up to Thanksgiving and then splurge on mashed potatoes. Probably stuffing too.

Here's what said potatoes looked like last week ...

20171105_220519.jpg

3. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Great work gents. Still walking a ton but leveled off. Eating poorly, need to fix that.
    AFTER Thanksgiving. I'm smoking a turkey and making oyster stuffing.

DQ - better eating, exercise? How have you pulled it off?

Also, send me a Reuben. Damn I love those things

4. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

First. ... Good work on the weight loss, guys. Hope you are feeling better in your overall day to day because of it!

We do Thanksgiving at my sister's, and she and I are really close. She does a gazillion side dishes that are vegetarian, really only for me, even though I don't ask for it and don't eat that much. It's sweet. Every year we have the same conversation. She tells me she is going to scale back and not go so crazy. Then we show up to find enough food to feed an army.

Most of the food is pretty traditional Thanksgiving stuff, but our contributions include homemade hummus, babaganoush and guacamole. ... and Ms. Ragu's spinach and feta quiche (you know, that traditional Thanksgiving food introduced by the Native Americans), which very surprisingly became a hit with my niece and nephews. ... so that she has to make several of them so they can bring them home with them.

I like the Reuben idea, btw. ... I do grilled cheese sandwiches with sauerkraut when I really want to splurge / a treat. I know it's not the same to most of you, but it's as close as I come to that. I love sauerkraut for some reason.

Last edited: Nov 15, 2017
  5. doctorquant

RELENTLESS calorie-counting. I have a spreadsheet (I know you’re stunned!) in which I log daily totals for the three meals and snacks (including booze) and maintain a running 7-day average. I like to keep that average below 1,900.

Three days a week I do weight-lifting at the Y. Three days a week I run at least 2.5miles. And at least twice a week I walk 18 holes (about 5 miles).

YankeeFan likes this.
  6. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Sauerkraut is awesome!

7. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

My daughter is getting married in May - I'd really like to be a lot thinner by then so I look like a dazzling old man when I walk her down the aisle. One of the days I've looked forward to the most. Need to get back to cooking more, snacking less, mixing in something with the walking. You're my inspiration!

I still want a Reuben.

8. trifectarich

trifectarich Well-Known Member

Chess pie? Seriously, never heard of it. It looks and tastes like . . . ?

9. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

I had wrist surgery last month and can't swing a golf club until March. Of course, nobody else up here is going to be playing golf until April anyway. But I do need a new form of exercise for the winter. Can't lift weights for the same reason. Maybe swimming. I know better than to expect I'll resist Thanksgiving and subsequent holiday feasts. At least I don't care for cookies and most other sweets.

10. doctorquant

11. lakefront

lakefront Well-Known Member

Have you tried the cauliflower version of mashed potatoes? I have not and don't know if they would be a good alternative for diabetics, but people say they are very good.

12. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

I have cauliflower 2-3 times a week. It's such a boring fucking vegetable even when you put melted cheese on top or whatever. Usually I just eat the florets plain. It's like eating mini-brains.

I'm not fucking eating mashed fucking cauliflower.

BurnsWhenIPee and lakefront like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted