1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Party's over at my former university residence.

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by JR, Dec 19, 2007.

1. Matt Foley

Matt Foley Member

A lot. As far as I know, the fraternity system at Dartmouth was the true inspiration for Animal House. Though those guys up in Toronto certainly seem pretty rowdy as well.

2. Orange Hat Bobcat

Orange Hat Bobcat Active Member

"... The tough get going. Who's with me?"

3. markvid

markvid Guest

So, lemme get this right...
    We have a problem with women, so we are going to put women in there to fix it.
    Great logic, that administration.

4. crusoes

crusoes Active Member

Make them live with women! THAT'LL learn 'em!

5. Chef

Chef Active Member

You just knew this was going to get Animal House jacked.

And that's a very good thing.

6. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

'Animal House' is modeled in large part on the Alpha Delta Phi house at Dartmouth in the late 1950s and early 1960s.
    Screenwriter Chris Miller was an AD from 1959-62 (I think) and his house name was Pinto, because of his speckled member. He has a book out called "The Real Animal House." He wrote a series for National Lampoon, before penning the movie, called 'Tales o the Adelphian Lodge.'
    Harold Ramis was the co-writer of the movie. I don't know what college he went to, but in the foreward to 'The Real Animal House' he gives Miller much of the credit for the atmosphere of the movie. Ramis, being younger, was of a different college generation, although his hand is evident in the movie. I've always thought of him as Boon.
    Chris Miller, one of the founders of the National Lampoon, was the basis for Stork. He went to Harvard and has a writing credit on the movie, although I don't know specifically in what capacity.

7. Dyno

Dyno Well-Known Member

What the fuck happened to the Delta I used to know?

8. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Wikpedia entry: After graduating from Washington University in St. Louis, Missouri his first job was as a mental-ward orderly. Ramis was a member of the Alpha Xi chapter of Zeta Beta Tau fraternity at Washington University, and it is reputed that some of his own experiences in ZBT helped inspire Animal House[citation needed].

I imagine that the script was a collaborative effort with everyone throwing in their drunken frat life experience.

9. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

Ramis has said that his original treatment - called 'Freshman Year' - was much more about the emergence of the college counter-culture, more rebellion than rowdiness.
    The script he and Miller produced is a great blend of the two eras. It's set in Miller's era and has a lot of recognizable stuff from Miller's stories. The shennanigans themselves are more inherently rowdy than rebellious. There's a real boys-will-be-boys aspect to it. However, the timbre of the relationship between Delta House and the college administration/the Omegas clearly goes beyond that. Although the actions themselves seem like hijinks the animosity between the two sides is clear counter-culture vs. establishment.
    The whole movie is an amalgam, of course.
    By the way, Kenney was reportedly the sickest of all, during his time at Harvard and after.

Draft saved Draft deleted