1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Party Time! Michael Vick is free

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Drip, Jul 20, 2009.

1. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Never been a huge Vick fan. But I'll point out a few things.

When Vick had success, it was because he used his legs .The older he gets, the less likely he is going to be able to play that game. He's only 29, which isn't old for a QB, but it is the age when most running backs start to go south. Look at a guy like Donovan McNabb. McNabb has staying power because he can stand in the pocket. Can Vick? Even when he would force them to put the safeties up at the line, he never was able to take advantage as a passer..

In fact, as a pocket passer, he is pretty bad--mediocre at his best and horribly inaccurate at his worst. He bounces a lot of passes and when they spread the field (like in 2006) with four and five receiver sets, he was actually abysmally bad where he should have had an advantage. His completion percentage dropped each of his last three years and the best you could describe him as was "middle of the pack."

The wildcat is a gimmick. It is not going to have staying power, nor is it ever going to be the bulk of anyone's offense. The overall trend in the NFL has been toward shorter throws that require accuracy (what Al Davis will never catch on to), and that is what Vick is horrible at. His last three seasons, his completion percentage went from 56.4 to 55.3 to 52.6. If I am looking for a QB who can manage a game and is not going to hurt me (forget about the four or five guys who are franchise QBs), I want a guy who can drop three steps and throw an accurate out pass. That's not Vick. And he's not a franchise. So where does that leave him? I think a lot of teams are going to be tentative about signing him: weighing his baggage against the fact that he is an inaccurate passer.

2. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

All good points.

I just think he's still young enough to play with the big boys, even after two years off. His poor competion percentage could easily be attributed to him always looking to escape and rushing the throw, although even his 7 step drops often looked horrible, too.

Maybe if he concentrates on being more of a pocket passer, he can improve. Who knows. It will certainly be interesting to see what happens. I still say the Niners are the most logical fit.

3. Drip

Drip Active Member

Like Gene Banks, Vick has been on the shelf. As for accuracy, look at the duds he had as receivers. You make a valid point about his staying in the pocket. However, I've seen him throw too many passes over the middle not to think that he's not capable of doing it.
    Numbers can be used in a lot of different ways but this guy does have some intangibles that make him dynamic.
    And the wildcat, run and shoot, whatever you want to call it, isn't a fad. It's been around for a while in various forms. It's going to remain around in some form because it put points on the board and keeps fans excited.

4. Pancamo

Pancamo Active Member

Vick should have spent the last two years studying film and working on mechanics.

5. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

I just saw this.

:D

6. Peytons place

Peytons place Member

So will any team take him? Somebody's got to be willing to take that chance.

He definitely should be able to play again, and he's apparently working with the Humane Society and the ASPCA, so that shows an effort on his part, I think. (Screw PETA).

7. KYSportsWriter

KYSportsWriter Well-Known Member

Are you seriously comparing Vick to Brady? What the hell did Vick ever do to draw that comparison?

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 1, 2015
  8. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

Bob Kraft lanced Christian Peter like a boil after his problems with the law, not long after he was drafted. Say what you will about the Pats but Kraft is probably the most intolerant owners where bad citizens are concerned. If Stallworth was on their roster he would be gone. No chance of Vick going there.

9. JC

JC Well-Known Member

Corey Dillon scoffs at this

10. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

Are you really this clueless?

I'm not comparing Vick to Brady in terms of ability and skill. Just that they both sat out for a period of time. Brady was out for one year with an injury -- a bad oine -- and everyone seems to think he'll be better than ever. Vick sat out two years -- with no injury -- and people are questioning whether or not he can be even a somewhat effective player in the league. Vick is two years younger than Brady.

You follow now?

11. trifectarich

trifectarich Well-Known Member

Even as a back-up in case the No. 1 QB goes down, I'd rather have Vick than 75 percent of the second-teamers out there now.

12. Drip

Drip Active Member

Ryan, don't waste your time. I understand what you are talking about perfectly. This guy loves to write crap and before you know it, a verbal war breaks out and a thread is locked. It's not worth it.
    Many of you may not remember the way the Illinois chapters of the National Organization for Women protested outside of the Chicago Bulls' ticket office after the team selected him in the 1982 NBA draft. Dailey had been accused of rape.
    I don't want to see a repeat like that but I'm afraid its inevitable for Vick. Organizations like PETA just don't know when to stop.

Draft saved Draft deleted