1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Party like it's 5771

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by beanpole, Sep 8, 2010.

1. beanpole

beanpole Member

L'Shana Tova to my Jewish SJ buddies. May you have a sweet and happy holiday.

(Now if I can just get through the next 2 days with my crazy mother-in-law...)

2. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

My boss is Jewish. Quite glad he will be out the next two days so I can leave at 5. So hooray for Jewish holidays. May you all enjoy whatever the heck holiday this is -- and I'm sorry I don't know, I am clearly ignorant and not-cultured.

3. Dyno

Dyno Well-Known Member

It's Rosh Hashanah - the Jewish New Year. It starts tonight.

Shana tovah to my fellow Jews.

4. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

How the hell can you celebrate the New Year with no college football to watch?

5. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

I used to have a boss who was an Orthodox Jew -- he didn't wear the black suits and he cut his hair, but he did make a big deal about following all the Jewish laws to a T. That included having to be out of the office and at his apartment by sundown each Friday, and he'd be off the grid (literally) until sun up on Sunday.

This was somewhat of an inconvenience, seeing how he ran a major newsroom and there was the occasional breaking news story on Saturdays. And by occasional, I mean every week -- so I was left to do his job (w/o his pay!) one day a week.

Then it all went to hell, so to speak. Turns out he was a closet homosexual and he was using the Friday/Saturday period to go away and live his second life without anyone (including his wife, who lived in another city) finding out.

Happy New Year's, BR, wherever you are.

6. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

What just happened?

7. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

pre-season dradel

8. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Saints/Vikings will have to suffice.

9. beanpole

beanpole Member

Saints-Vikings is a great way to start the new year.

Hey, I want to know more about this, too. Sounds like a great story for me to spin tonight amid the apples and honey.

10. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

Traif? Holy Flanken

11. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

The Onion scores with this 1996 classic: Jews To Celebrate Rosh Hashasha Or Something

http://www.theonion.com/articles/jews-to-celebrate-rosh-hashasha-or-something,4532/

12. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

This sounds like the beginning of a great book and I'd like to order a copy in advance.

Draft saved Draft deleted