1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Part-timers in Richmond

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by MJHRVA, Sep 13, 2007.

1. MJHRVA

MJHRVA Member

The one full-time opening I have (Deputy SE/Design) is still on hold but I am looking for some part-timers to help us both in production and writing. It is what it is - a part-time position. I'm not going to try to sell the glamour of it but the jobs are a good entry point. You'll work with a great group of people (save for the SE), prepare yourself for a full-time job (maybe here, maybe elsewhere) and have a lot of fun.
    If you are interested, e-mail me at mharris@timesdispatch.com - I'm looking to fill these jobs quickly. Two of my PT crew took full-time jobs recently and one is a senior in college who says he needs to devote more time to that final year.

2. MU_was_not_so_hard

MU_was_not_so_hard Active Member

Mike's good people, and depending on the amount of work, this could be parlayed into full-time job elsewhere. People respect the Richmond section, and for good reason.
    Plus, when your SE takes you out for a beer, he's a badass in a bar fight. Ask him about his nunchucks.

3. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Harris? I know about Harris. We use this crappy Harris system at my shop, it doesn't do anything right and is a PITA.. NOW, I can put a name with a product...

4. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

I believe the RTD uses Harris as well. Think he tires of hearing "Fuckin' piece-of-shit Harris!" and not knowing to whom the person is referring, the man or the program? :D

5. I know if I were a young reporter trying to break into the business, I'd jump at the chance to start under Mike. It may be an "is what it is" situation, but Mike's a pro's pro, and there's a lot of other good people to learn from in that department.

6. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

This Harris guy sounds like a nice chap to work for. Sure, the odds of being hired are long, but might as well apply, right?

7. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Moddy rule of thumb: You will not get the job for sure if you don't apply. Moddy hears it is best not to wait on this one.

8. boots

boots New Member

Plenty of experience in the sports department. For the lucky ones, there is a chance to tap into some of that knowledge. With a break here or there, who knows what may happen. Good luck.

9. MU_was_not_so_hard

MU_was_not_so_hard Active Member

Another note: You miss 100 percent of the shots you don't take.
    Even for a PT job, in this day and age, I don't envy Mike and what will likely be yet another decent sized stack of resumes.

10. luckyducky

luckyducky Guest

If I didn't live on the other coast, I'd jump at this even as a part-time gig. Unfortunately, I'm poor and I doubt they'd pay for a part-timer to move across the U.S.

Draft saved Draft deleted