1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Part-time writer position Sandy Post/Gresham Outlook

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by flexmaster33, Dec 23, 2010.

1. flexmaster33

flexmaster33 Active Member

Congratulations to Andrew Nemec, who has accepted a full-time sports gig in Moscow, Idaho, covering preps and college beats. Well deserved.

That leaves us with a part-time opening to fill for a entry-level 32-36 hour a week writing position, covering our local prep beat along with some community college sports. Photography is part of the job description, but we can train for that.

Interested applicants can also learn page design and web skills if interested.

Send resume, cover letter and clips to Sports Editor David Ball at dball@theoutlookonline.com

We're hoping to fill this position by mid-to-late-January.
  2. flexmaster33

bumping this up, as we are in the initial process of reviewing applications...hoping to fill the position in early-to mid-January.
  3. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

Are people really willing to move for a part-time job in an expensive part of the country?
  4. BigEast24

BigEast24 New Member

I wish more of these jobs popped up elsewhere. It's a tough sell in different ways, especially being part-time. It's not the worst starting point, I guess.
  5. HandsomeHarley

HandsomeHarley Well-Known Member

If I were already on disability, this wouldn't be a bad little gig. But it takes as long as a year to get disability and you can't be working at all.

My son lives in Roseburg, and I see myself working part-time one day if I could afford to take a year off to file.

I don't think Titanium rods in your back is automatic disability consideration. But I can't take the pounding much longer. Aluminum benches and long-standing interviews are for the birds.
  6. flexmaster33

Yes, this is definitely a starting point job...a place to practice your craft and learn some skills before hopefully moving onto a full-time gig. We aren't expecting to land long-term staffers in a part-time job such as this...pay range appears to be $11-$12/hour.

Wish we could return this position to the full-time job it was a year ago, but that's not in the cards for the foreseeable future it seems.
  7. johann

johann Guest

Anyone hear anything?
  8. dkphxf

dkphxf Member

9. flexmaster33

we've welcomed Jeff Spiegel to the position...he's been a freelancer for us in the past.
Draft saved Draft deleted