1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Part-time sports writer, Jackson Citizen Patriot

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by Chris Iott, Jul 28, 2008.

1. Chris Iott

Chris Iott New Member

The Jackson Citizen Patriot seeks a part-time sports writer to work 28 hours a week during the fall sports season. The bulk of the job involves answering phone calls from high school coaches. Must be available evenings and weekends. We despise corrections, so accuracy is a must. The job is perfect for a recent college graduate, current college student or motivated and talented high school student who is within driving distance of Jackson. Send a resume to: Chris Iott, sports editor, Jackson Citizen Patriot, 214 S. Jackson St., Jackson, MI 49201. No phone calls.

This would be great for an MSU student or a recent graduate who had an internship fall through. The job is being filled on a temporary basis but might be extended through the winter or the school year. Send me an e-mail at ciott@citpat.com if you have any questions or plan to send some stuff.

2. Jay Sherman

Jay Sherman Member

So an agate clerk, mostly?

3. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

My favorite reoccurring job post. :D

4. Chris Iott

Chris Iott New Member

Mostly, but part-timers generally get out of the office once a week to cover a game and write a feature or two each season. Each part-timer is responsible for a sport or two, from preview to all-area team. It's better than just an agate clerk, I suppose.

Hard workers get out of the office more. Slackers end up answering the phone a lot more.

As far as the other post goes, yes, this job pops up all the time. Regular SportsJournalists.com posters will have a field day with this one. I don't care. I just want one really good candidate to e-mail me based on the initial post. So have fun, boys (and girls).

5. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

Chris,

I don't think anyone is going to have a field day with this. It is a legit post. I definitely wish I would have been able to take this job when I was still in school but it just wasn't in the cards. Good luck with the search.

6. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Well, it's not like it's the Trentonian. ::) ::)

Draft saved Draft deleted