1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Part-Time Sports Digital Editor - The Dallas Morning News

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by JohnScratch, Jul 22, 2014.

1. JohnScratch

JohnScratch New Member

From journalismjobs.com:

http://www.journalismjobs.com/Job_Listing.cfm?JobID=1564070

Position:
    Part-Time Sports Digital Editor

Job Status:
    Full-time

Salary:
    Not Specified

Description:

About The Dallas Morning News Established in 1885, The Dallas Morning News (dallasnews.com) is Texas' leading newspaper. Its portfolio of print and online products reaches an average daily audience of more than 1.1 million. The newspaper has received nine Pulitzer Prizes since 1986, as well as numerous other industry awards recognizing the quality of its investigative and feature journalism, design and photojournalism. In 2010, The News received the Pulitzer Prize for an editorial series highlighting the economic disparity between the northern half and southern half of Dallas. In 2003, the paper launched the leading Spanish-language daily in North Texas, Al Dia and the nation's first editorial blog. In 2007, the paper established one of the country's first consumer-generated community news sites, neighborsgo.com. In 2008, the paper launched the free, home-delivered quick-read, Briefing. The Dallas Morning News is the flagship newspaper subsidiary of A. H. Belo Corporation.

This editor's primary job will be to help generate content for the SportsDay online component of dallasnews.com, while assisting with mobile and social media efforts.

The planned hours for this position are 20 hours per week and are night shifts.

Other components of the job include:

-- Aggregation of content across Web, conducting news searches to find news, tidbits, editing, writing and display.

-- Transcription of radio and television interviews.

-- Strong social media interaction.

Key attributes of a candidate include:

-- Good news judgment, grammatical precision, a flair for headlines, energy, curiosity and an appreciation and urgency to provide the best local sports coverage with impact and excitement.

-- Versatile and speedy both as a journalist and as a web producer - someone who can post a story within seconds without much of a safety net.

-- Strong communication, organizational and time management skills.

To apply, please e-mail resume and other materials to mfrancescutti@dallasnews.com

2. steveu

steveu Well-Known Member

I would be all over this if it weren't for the part-time part. Dammit, I could work for the DMN.

3. speters159

speters159 New Member

<sarcasm>So is this a full-time job or a part-time job?</sarcasm>

I used to hold this position, and I would presume this is only a temporary role (which won't be disclosed anywhere in the interview/hiring process unless explicitly asked).

PM me if you have any questions about the job or the otherwise.

4. LitteringAnd

LitteringAnd Member

Said it before, I'll say it again - Francescutti is pretty brilliant dude. Loved having him as a boss at the WWL.

Draft saved Draft deleted