1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Part-time or not?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Eddie_Vedder, Apr 17, 2007.

1. Eddie_Vedder

Eddie_Vedder Member

I've got a question.

Let's say you work part-time (15-20) hours a week - position could be sports reporter, sports photgrapher, TV or print, doesn't matter.

How do you list this on a resume?

Is it necessary to list it as "Part-time Sports Photographer" or is "Sports Photographer" OK?

If you don't preface it with "Part-time" are you being deceptive? If you just go with "Sports Photographer" should you mention in the job description part of the resume that it was only 15-20 hours, or would this be something you would mention in the interview?

I guess what I'm asking is, does the number of hours you worked per week matter (should it be specifically laid out) or is a photographer a "Photographer" no matter how many hours worked?

2. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

"Sports Whatever" Daily Blab, then the rest of the stats... dont lead anyone to believe you were fulltime, but dont highlight it either -- unless you're cool with mentioning it. But never lie.

3. In Cold Blood

In Cold Blood Member

I like Slappy's take...

The skills you used and developed on the job were probably the same whether you spent 25 hours or 40 doing it. I wouldn't draw attention to your part-time status - focus on your abilities. Don't conceal it either, though.

4. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

I can put THAT on my resume too...

5. fishwrapper

fishwrapper Active Member

George O'Leary thinks this is bad idea.

6. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

You don't have to embellish, you don't have to lie. You were a writer, say you were a writer; don't say fulltime if you dont want. Mention your duties, mention your beat.
    In fact, I do have a part-time job of three years from 10 years ago on my resume and mention it was part time. But I also say what I did and what I covered on the resume.

7. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

I agree that "part-time" does not have to be part of the job description.

But you can't be misleading. I do think you have to reference your actual status in some fashion on the resume.

This may be the kind of case where a "skills resume" works better than a straight chrono job.

8. spikechiquet

spikechiquet Well-Known Member

Lie your ass off...if you get an interview, you can always slip that in...right? LOL

At least you get a free one-on-one with the boss.

Just kidding, you should mention that you weren't full-time, but not make a big deal out of it at the same time.

9. novelist_wannabe

novelist_wannabe Well-Known Member

Generally, I wouldn't mention whether I was full-time or not, with a caveat: If you're going to emphasize your work in quantifiable terms (ie, --Produced 12 section front and five A1 stories) then those numbers take on added relevance. That number is more impressive if you were working part-time, I would think, than if you were working full-time.

10. Gold

Gold Active Member

Absolutely no need to mention whether it was part-time or not. Don't lie about it if somebody asks you - that IS a problem.

11. Birdscribe

Birdscribe Active Member

Bingo.

I had a great PT gig -- my first one at a 180k paper -- on my resume. Considering I covered two local small colleges, backed up on NFL and hockey and was one of the de facto GA's (at 35 hours a week), there was no reason to say I was part-time and diminish my status when I was doing the work of a full-timer.

I wasn't lying at all. My resume states my job functions -- all of which are truthful. Not a syllable of embellishment.

HejiraHenry is on to something with the skills format. That may be the way to go for you. Given the stigma that part-timers -- even talented ones -- have with way too many SE's, there's no reason to put it down.

12. Mystery_Meat

Mystery_Meat Guest

I think you have to mention it. I believe most hiring editors assume any job listed is full time unless listed otherwise, and if you get an interview and have to explain that no, it was really a part-time job, it could hurt your standing with that paper, the chain and possibly other papers in the region.

Best not to risk it.

Draft saved Draft deleted