1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Part-time news editor, NFL.com

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by JHath, Jul 14, 2011.

1. JHath

JHath Member

Hi all:

Been a long time since I've posted on here ...

We're looking for a part-time news editor to join our desk in Culver City, Calif. I need someone who's willing to work nights and weekends since we're a 24-7 news operation. Obviously, I'd prefer an NFL fan with copy-editing chops and the drive to keep NFL.com a legitimate news site. We have a solid crew now, and web experience is only preferred, not mandatory. We can train the right candidate -- and have in the past.

I can answer any questions via PM or email (justin.hathaway@nfl.com). I'm hoping to have someone by the end of the month, so if you're interested, apply quickly.

Thanks,
    Justin Hathaway
    Senior News Editor, NFL.com

Link to apply: https://www.nfl.apply2jobs.com/ProfExt/index.cfm?fuseaction=mExternal.showJob&RID=273&CurrentPage=1

Job Title: Temporary News Editor- NFL.com
    Position Type: Part Time - Temporary
    City: Culver City
    State: California
    Travel Requirements: 0% - 25%
    Education Requirements: Bachelor’s degree in journalism or related degree preferred
    Years of Experience: 1-3 years
    Certification, Licenses, and Registration:
    Description: The NFL Digital Media Group is seeking Editors responsible for editing and updating content for NFL.com for overnight and weekend shifts.

Job Responsibilities:
    •Select, prioritize, edit, and post content
    •Edit copy and headline writing under deadlines
    •Monitor wire feeds and other outside sources to ensure that the latest sports
    news is represented on the site
    •Ensure that all content is grammatically correct and factually accurate
    •Ensure that writing style used is consistent with NFL.com’s editorial policy
    •Re-write or re-work news reports
    •Serve as initial contact for reporters in the field and pull together reaction to breaking news stories
    •Write headlines and cutlines
    •Participate in discussion of how to package content into lead stories on NFL.com

Skills / Qualifications:
    •Willingness to work overnights and weekends
    •1-3 years editorial experience, preferably in online medium and in the sports industry
    •Bachelor’s degree in journalism or related degree preferred
    •Strong written and verbal communication skills
    •Strong organizational and prioritization skills
    •Proven sports knowledge that lends itself to sound news judgment
    •Strong computer skills in Word
    •Some knowledge of HTML and Photoshop preferred

2. bean

bean New Member

Do you have to work with Rank?

3. JHath

JHath Member

Yep. In fact, I sit right next to Rank every day.

Thanks everyone for the messages and resumes. To clarify one thing, telecommuting isn't an option for this job. We've tried it before, but it doesn't really work for us. Sorry not to have mentioned that in the previous note.

Draft saved Draft deleted