1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Part time in Northern Virginia ...

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by Justin_Rice, Jul 26, 2006.

1. Justin_Rice

Justin_Rice Well-Known Member

From The Free Lance-Star in Fredericksburg, Va.:

This job is posted on our Web site (fredericksburg.com) but not at APSE/JJobs/etc.

We have one part-time vacancy that we will fill in the next few weeks. We'll tailor the job around the employee's skills, but it's going to be mostly agate and office work (taking phone calls, writing high school roundups).

Someone with a little experience (college paper?) will get writing opportunities - which could grow into frequent chances if this individual shows some ability.

This is entry level - 20 hours a week or so work - but if you're a recent college grad or a student near Fredericksburg and you want some daily newspaper experience, it could be a good opportunity.

Check out the listing on our Web site - Fredericksburg.com - or shoot me an e-mail at jrice@freelancestar.com.

-Justin Rice
    Assistant Sports Editor
    The Free Lance-Star

2. Kaylee

Kaylee Member

Again, I know very little of the nuts and bolts, but...

Justin Rice is one of the best, most supportive folks I've encountered in my career. He is the kind of editor who will do everything to encourage and help a young reporter if said young reporter shows enthusiasm and a bit of talent (I am the one exception, as I was burbling with enthusiasm but not a whit of talent...he helped me anyway. Go figger.)

He's mostly a desk-oriented guy, but he's good to answer to.

As for anything else, no clue.

3. Fredericksburg is not DC Metro area Northern Virginia, which is to its credit. This is a good gig for someone trying to break into the biz. Paper and editor have a good rep. If you had a roommate, or working spouse, you could afford to live in F'burg. It's not Northern Virginia prices.

4. imjustagirl2

imjustagirl2 New Member

I don't know Justin Rice, but I know several people who do and one of my good pals works in Fburg.

Never heard a bad word said about him, and Fburg is a good solid paper. A good opportunity for someone who doesn't mind busting his/her hump to get some chances.

5. Is Matt Eppers still working part time for you guys? He should do well in this biz...

6. Justin_Rice

I'm proud to say he is. He's also going to be doing some agate for USA Today, which means he'll be available to do less for us (which, BTW, means more opportunities if we get the right part-timer ... this opening is not his position, but the duties will be similar).

7. Mystery_Meat

Mystery_Meat Guest

How would the shifts work? Three 6.667-hour shifts? Two 10-hour? Four five-hour? One massive 20-hour clusterfuck session?

8. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

All true.

9. Justin_Rice

I'd say somewhere between three 6.667's and four fives.

Though one 20 sounds like a fine idea!

Draft saved Draft deleted