1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Part-time in Jackson, Michigan

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by Chris Iott, Aug 31, 2007.

1. Chris Iott

Chris Iott New Member

I am certain that all the anonymous naysayers on this site will have a field day with this one, but here goes:

PART-TIME SPORTSWRITER—The Jackson Citizen Patriot seeks a part-time sportswriter to work 20-28 hours a week. The bulk of the job involves answering phones and working nights and weekends, but the right candidate will write an occasional feature or game story. We despise corrections, so accuracy is a must. The job is perfect for a recent college graduate, current college student or motivated and talented high school student who is within driving distance of Jackson. Send a resume to: Chris Iott, sports editor, Jackson Citizen Patriot, 214 S. Jackson St., Jackson, MI 49201. No phone calls. Posted 8-30-07.

If anyone is interested, send me an e-mail at ciott@citpat.com and get your stuff in the mail ASAP.

2. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

[​IMG]

Neigh! Neigh!

(seriously, Chris Iott's a good guy... you'll learn a lot...)

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  3. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

Jackson is better than Coldwater or Hillsdale!

4. Rick Vaughn

Rick Vaughn New Member

I grew up in Jackson and it's actually not a bad place. After I moved away, I heard people talk about a ghetto there and it really made me laugh, because I had no idea what they were talking about. Obviously they'd never seen a real ghetto.

You've always got awesome sports around--great college football a half hour to the east in Ann Arbor and great college basketball a half hour to the north in East Lansing. Detroit is about an hour away if you want to go to professional games. And if you really want to stretch it, Chicago and Cleveland are about 3 hours away.

If you're young, Jackson's nightlife won't blow you out of the water, but there's def. enough places to grab a beer. There's a horse track too, so that can be a lot of fun. Be sure and try a Schlenker's burger at least once--best I've ever had.

As for the high schools, Lumen Christi is an absolute powerhouse in football and has won 3 or 4 state championships since 2001. Jackson High has around 1800 kids and they usually churn out a D-I football or basketball player every couple years. A lot of people at the smaller high schools in the county piss and moan about not getting enough coverage--but you can only cover so much and those schools usually suck anyway. All in all the Cit Pat is a solid paper. I've never worked with anyone there, but I've heard only positive things. Feel free to PM with questions.

5. Chris Iott

Chris Iott New Member

I hate the anonymity on this site. People talking about me, the paper, Schlenker's burgers — and I have no idea who they are.

6. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

OK, let me stop busting balls on Jackson. For a paper of that size, the Citizen-Patriot is a very good paper. And it's part of a chain that does things right, which is rare nowadays.

7. Editude

Editude Active Member

Few people's positions are secure enough to give good and not-so-good insight into a place without being named. It's a little naive to expect otherwise. That said, this sounds like a GREAT opportunity (actually, I have no idea but tried to be positive). ;D

8. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Geez... give a guy some props instead of busting balls for a change and people think you're kidding.. I was serious...

9. Can I talk about you? You know who I am. I promise I'll say good things.

10. Chris Iott

Chris Iott New Member

I know no one's going to get on here and post their names. I'm just certain that I know Slappy, and I want to know who Rick Vaughn is and what he/she has heard about the paper.

And Haupricht? Talk away.

Just PM me and tell me who you are. I'll buy you a cold one the next time we cross paths.

As far as it being a great opportunity … it is for someone. It's really a good place to start. It's not a job you'd move cross country to take, but Booth/Newhouse is the best newspaper company around. This job is a pretty good place to make a good first impression at a place that takes care of its employees.

11. Hank_Scorpio

Hank_Scorpio Active Member

Not sure what the pay range here is, but if it's close to part-time pay at other Booth papers, you can make ends meet fairly easily.

Lots of golf courses in Jackson County.

12. Woo Woo

Woo Woo New Member

You are right. The anonymity of this message board is sometimes abused. It has served as courage for certain cowards, who aren't as unknown as they think they are.

Draft saved Draft deleted