1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Part-time agate clerk, Leader-Telegram in Eau Claire, Wis.

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by John Casper Jr., Aug 13, 2010.

1. John Casper Jr.

John Casper Jr. New Member

I know this is primarily a board for full-time jobs, but I didn't know a better place to put this.

We're anticipating an opening on our part-time staff at the Eau Claire Leader-Telegram. I'd love to have someone in place by the first week of football, which is at the end of August. Wishful thinking I know.

It's your typical part-time gig. Anywhere from 10-25 hours a week depending on the time of year. The main part of the job is taking prep box scores over the phones, but we throw a lot of writing assignments at our part-timers. There's no shortage of things to cover in Eau Claire and if you prove that you can string a few sentences together and get your facts right, you'll get your shot.

I don't expect anyone looking for work on this board to move to Eau Claire just to make minimum wage, answer phones and cover a Big Rivers Conference girls golf meet, but I'm hoping that the word will get out we're looking for help. So if you know a college student at UW-Eau Claire or UW-Stout that's interested in sports journalism, this is a great opportunity to get their foot in the door. Of the eight part-timers we've had here the last three years, four have landed full-time jobs in sports, two got full-time jobs in another department at the L-T and the other two are still working here.

Anyone interested can contact me at john.casper@ecpc.com.

Draft saved Draft deleted