1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Part of why Canada sucks

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by SoSueMe, May 24, 2007.

1. SoSueMe

SoSueMe Active Member

Just 'cause I'm angry - and sort of proud of my discount shopping, actually - I have to rant/vent.

As most know, I'm getting married. As is tradition, you buy each member of the wedding party gifts. I opted for watches.

So, I go to the best, most fully-stocked, large retailer here in my fairly large city in Canada. Each watch is $130 CAN ($148 CAN after tax). I say I want six, and that I can find them cheaper online, can you cut me a deal? No. Nothing.

I check the manufacturer's website; same watch $65 US with FREE SHIPPING. However, upon calling, they don't service international orders online.

Since I'm getting married in a border city, I call the closest retailer (25 minutes from the border) and say I want six watches, can you cut a deal? The store manager immediately says yes and offers 15% off the $65 US price, and they have them in stock.

Now, including the $8 CAN round-trip toll I will pay to cross the border and the 10% echange rate and the state's sales tax, that works out to - ready for this? - $66.05 CAN per watch! A savings of $81.95 CAN!

Un-fucking-real.

2. Want to trade for our insurance companies?

3. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

That's some good shopping right there.

4. SoSueMe

SoSueMe Active Member

Touche.

But come on, seriously.

How can it cost that much more in Canada?

5. Gouging, eh?

6. JR

JR Well-Known Member

OK, so who was the retailer selling them for $130.00?

Oh, and don't forget there may be duty on them.

On the other hand, I was in the Apple Store at Sherway Gardens on the weekend and bought something for my kid for his birthday. Price was exactly the same as the U.S. price.

7. SoSueMe

SoSueMe Active Member

No duty (likely) I called my friend who works in customs. Said they will more than likely let me through.

Plus, duty would have to be 150% to make the watches cost the same amount as here.

8. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Here's the rest of why Canada sucks:

[​IMG]

That's fuct.

Oh, and this too:

[​IMG]

;D

9. jgmacg

jgmacg Guest

But what if they only tell American time?

10. JR

JR Well-Known Member

So, who was the retailer selling them for $130.00?

11. SoSueMe

SoSueMe Active Member

JR

The Bay and the manufacturer's store in TO, too.

Oh, and both thought I was bullshitting when I told them how much I could buy them for elsewhere.

12. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

BWUHAHAHAHAHA! That was pretty funny, guy! Well played.

Draft saved Draft deleted