1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Part 10 *(final part)* of McGwire story up on You Tube NOW

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by John D. Villarreal, Jan 5, 2007.

?

What percentage of MLB players take "illegal" drugs (including prescriptions)?

1. Over 70%

4 vote(s)
    14.8%
  2. 50-70%

10 vote(s)
    37.0%
  3. 20-50%

8 vote(s)
    29.6%
  4. 10-20%

3 vote(s)
    11.1%
  5. 0-10%

2 vote(s)
    7.4%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Smasher_Sloan

Smasher_Sloan Active Member

Re: Part one of McGwire story up on You Tube NOW

Holy shit, this is unbelievable. Has ESPN broken into regular programming yet?

2. PhilaYank36

PhilaYank36 Guest

I couldn't even last more than 30 seconds. I really was holding out hope (I don't know why) that this would pan out to be something useful, but I can't get through that opening. John, I'm not going to hop on the bash-wagon, but you really need to cut through the BS-filler in your posts and vids. Remember that we are sports writers, not novel writers: our idea of a huge graph is four, maybe five sentences AT THE MOST. And give us the biggest, most important stuff right away. You want to tell us about yourself, fine, go ahead, but put it on a separate clip. You're losing a ton of people with all the extra, unnecessary stuff.

3. John D. Villarreal

John D. Villarreal New Member

Right, and a sourpuss hater like you would have said the same thing if the video was of me capturing Bin Laden live.

No surprise - yet you keep posting?

Is it because I am vastly more compelling than you?

Of course.

Amazing that the videos are exactly what I said they would be - long discourse and discussion by an expert deigned to give you good info and background w/ scoops to make good stories from and then make myself available for serious follow-ups.

I know I don't spell well but I think I have been speaking English.

4. markvid

markvid Guest

I don't know what's more pathetic here, his search for love from us or the video itself.

5. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

I don't think I'd fill it out well enough. Do you tell us anything useful in part two, like where to score some stanozolol?

6. John D. Villarreal

I hear you & understand - but that is not what I wanted to do & I was upfront from the start about that. Look, I can cut a sweet byte as well as anyone but that does no justice to this story at all & will only get us right back to where we are with this whole thing.

Rather, I wanted to do this in a substantive way to try to do it & Mark justice. There is a lot of ground to cover (likely 10 parts in full) and this is just a primer.

Thus, I only wanted people who were going to be serious about this and take the time to gain the knowledge/advantage.

If that does not work for you I understand but I have misled nobody.

There is good info in the upcoming parts and scoops. You either choose to take the time or you don't.

In other subjects I am more than happy to accommodate your needs but the problem with this whole thing is people only want a salacious headline and a quick fix.

7. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Wasn't there when I clicked on the link. Sounds like I'm lucky.
    Of course, I was going to watch just so I could learn to pull hot chicks.

8. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

So far, Mr. Rogers ::), you haven't delivered any "good info".

Waiting ... waiting ...

9. markvid

markvid Guest

What you're not getting is that we're not going to sit around wading through a lot of stuff which has nothing to do with the story. And the sooner you learn that people DO want a quick summary and headline, you'll be much better off.

10. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

I feel really bad for stealing John's thunder... But he sort of alluded to this on the other thread. The stuff about ESPN.com somehow stealing from him, or doing him wrong--the big bombshell he promised to drop on us--refers to a headline they have over a McGwire story that says, "Black Mark." You know, because there's no way an editor at ESPN thought of the most obvious pun on earth on his own.

By the way, this stuff has to lend itself to a drinking game. How about every time he says "scoops," we say a toast to Dyepack and down a shot?

11. John D. Villarreal

Don't need the love & don't care. At my core I am extremely logical.

Love me or hate me I am accomplishing my goal which is simply to educate & try to get Mark treated more fairly. No matter what people will see this and it will influence the debate in a positive way.

Sure, I may not get credit for it at all (expected) but as like before pretty soon things I have said on background and in these videos will start showing up in sound bytes & in columns mostly with Sports J's passing it off as there own.

You know what that's fine! I don't need the credit just want the result.

As I told Tim Brown this is not a story I really want to be associated with. This is not fun. This is not how I want to get my name out more & there is really no way to make money off of this (honorably or ethically). Thus, there is no upside for me other than the truth.

Why now - asked and answered.

Look, we tried it Mark's way & that doesn't work as I told him. Moreover, as much as I like & respect Big Mac he doesn't control me - nobody does.

There you go.

You may think anything you want about me - but trust me I know exactly what I am doing.

John

12. Angola!

Angola! Guest

Who the hell is the guy in the hat?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.