1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

"Parks and Recreation," much improved

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Smasher_Sloan, Oct 30, 2009.

1. billikens

billikens Member

Like just about everyone else who watched this show in its first season, I hated it. Probably one of the worst shows I watched for a whole season (although if I remember correctly, it was only like six episodes long that first year). There wasn't a single likable character in the group. Poehler's character was crazy, and not in a good way, Rashida Jones was a wet blanket, Andy was a loser, Mark was a jerk, Ron Swanson hadn't hit his stride yet and Ansari wasn't clicking.

I think the only reason I gave it another chance was because I was too lazy to turn the channel when it came on Thursday nights. It turned out well because it became my favorite show within two or three weeks of season two. It's a shame it got off to such a poor start, because it turned a bunch of people off, but for anyone who stuck around, it's been a great time.

2. NickMordo

NickMordo Active Member

Yeah. And if you look at most shows, the first season is always a "work it out" approach. The shows that end up having great runs (Cheers, Seinfeld, etc) had first seasons which didn't usually reverberate with audiences.

3. Khartoum

Khartoum Active Member

"Stop... POOPING."

Maybe the two funniest words ever said on television. This show is gold.

4. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

KHARTOUM!

Goddammit. You wait until I log off to log on, don't you?

You slick bastard.

5. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

Can anyone think of any comedies that came out of the gate in a full sprint?

Simpsons, South Park and Arrested Development are the only ones that come to mind.

6. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Modern Family's first episode was hilarious.

7. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

It's not so much in a full sprint. It's with characters that evolve as much as it sounds like this show's has in about a season's time.

8. Big Circus

Big Circus Well-Known Member

I've got a great deal of affection for the first seasons of Always Sunny and 30 Rock, but those shows had marked changes of tone after their early episodes.

The AV Club posted an interview today with Michael Schur, Parks & Rec creator. (AKA Ken Tremendous of Fire Joe Morgan fame, aka Mose Schrute on "The Office.") No FJM questions, and the commenters are letting them have it:

http://www.avclub.com/articles/michael-schur,53574/

9. Big Circus

Really, the only one that's changed that much is Leslie (see the interview I posted for more on that). Tom's character has evolved a bit, but that has as much to do with the circumstances as the way he's played.

Having said that, dropping Mark and adding Chris and Ben was a MASSIVE upgrade.

10. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I think I've only seen the first two episodes from Season 1. I started watching late last season and caught up on Season 2 thanks largely to comments from this board and especially from Double Down.

11. Jake_Taylor

Jake_Taylor Well-Known Member

I think Andy also went from immature leach to lovable dufus.

12. Big Circus

Factually correct, and even mentioned in the article I linked. I am filled with shame.

Draft saved Draft deleted