1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

"Parks and Recreation," much improved

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Smasher_Sloan, Oct 30, 2009.

1. beardpuller

beardpuller Active Member

Absolutely right about Amy Poehler. I read a review when the show first started that I really agreed with -- that her intelligence is a big part of what she brings to the table, and by making her this clueless, naive bubblehead, they were forcing her to work against her strengths. That isn't really who her character is anymore -- she has that wildly optimistic, off-kilter sensibility, but she isn't a dummy now.
    And Ron is more than just the Parks and Rec version of Creed in The Office, which is kinda where he was there for a while. Getting his hair braided while falling for his ex-wife aside (and that was deeply hilarious), he's kind of the grownup a lot of the time, telling the young slacker girl to quit toying with the real dumb dude, then last week explaining to the real dumb dude why the young slacker girl is angry at him. (I can never remember supporting characters' names. Sorry.)
    I love this show now. It has really hit its stride. Larry Bird's Aunt Tildy!

2. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

April and Andy... and that bit on the ferris wheel was great. I also love Tom. Aziz Ansari is hilarious.

3. littlehurt98

littlehurt98 Member

I think adding Ben's character helped Leslie's character out too. It gave her someone to play off of and appreciate her love of government. I think at first they tried to play Leslie and Ron against one another when protested his hatred for government despite his job.

And three words I will always remember, "Ann Perkins. Hi!"

4. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

If anyone hasn't seen Aziz' last comedy special, it's a must see. Completely hilarious.

5. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

It makes jokes much funnier to me. If it's not for you, then it's not for you.

But if you like 30 Rock or Arrestled Development, then you should give PR another shot.

6. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

I've never seen 30 Rock and I hated Arrested Development. Course, I only saw two eps of that too.

I don't know if it's for me or not. i'm just saying I watched the clip and didn't find it hilarious. So I didn't know if it wasn't for me, or if it would be better if I knew more about the character and why he's that way.

7. Mizzougrad96

Keep in mind, she does like watching people drive in a circle. :D

8. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

Well, if you don't like Tom Haverford, then I would look elsewhere for laughs.

9. imjustagirl

No, HIM I like.

And Mizzou: I get PAID to watch people drive in circles. :)

10. Mizzougrad96

Yeah, but you like it. :D

11. Mizzougrad96

His stand-up special was the best I've seen in a long, long time.

12. imjustagirl

I don't hate it. I don't watch it when I'm not getting paid. Except when I went to Talladega last year. But that was just to drink Budweiser out of cans before noon and get trashed with KG. :)

Draft saved Draft deleted