1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

"Parks and Recreation," much improved

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Smasher_Sloan, Oct 30, 2009.

1. Smasher_Sloan

Smasher_Sloan Active Member

This show was a huge disappointment last year, given the history of the people who were in it and creating it.

I almost gave up on it, but I've been rewarded this season. It's still not at "Office" level, but most episodes have multiple laugh out loud moments. I don't know if they've changed writers or just gotten a better focus, but it's a much better show this season.

2. Big Circus

Big Circus Well-Known Member

Agreed. This season has been fantastic (except for the episode with the delegation from Venezuela, which fell way flat). Andy cracks me up, as does Ron, aka "Duke Silver".

Also, Rashida Jones is muh guhfriend.

3. Bob Cook

Bob Cook Active Member

Brilliant scene in Parks and Rec last night, with an homage to not just one, but TWO infamous Bob Knight meltdowns. Ron Swanson, coaching a youth basketball team in his Knight sweater, tosses a chair after getting frustrated with the incompetence of referee Tom Haverford. But for the hard core, Swanson then follows, after Tom ejects him, in ordering his team to the locker room before the game's end, a la Knight's take-my-ball-and-go-home incident after he was thrown out while his team was losing an exhibition to the Russians.

I think Swanson punching a press table hard enough to send a phone flying must have been a deleted scene.

4. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I became a fan of the show last season largely because of this place and the fact that I'm a huge fan of Aziz Ansari, dating back to Human Giant, the last show I ever watched regularly on MTV.

5. Big Circus

I liked that Aziz/Tom wound up reffing the game because he already had the shirt.

And Rob Lowe - "Ann Perkins!" - is really well used.

6. Bob Cook

Bob Cook Active Member

Also, all hail the Ron Swanson Pyramid of Greatness.

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  7. schiezainc

schiezainc Well-Known Member

Just want to chime in and say this may be my favorite television show currently on TV.

I'm watching the two most recent episodes right now and it's just killing me.

Ron: "I'm going to type every word I know. Rectangle. America. Megaphone. Monday. Butthole."

8. CentralIllinoisan

CentralIllinoisan Active Member

Great show.

Seemingly every episode, the eight minutes before the first commercial is filled with funny and fantastic things. Nearly every time I watch via my DVR, once I get to the first commercial, I say to myself 'That was only the first eight minutes?' ... So, so good.

9. SeanKennedy

SeanKennedy Member

I'd say it's behind 30 Rock, but definitely one of the funniest shows in TV.

The first season was not good.

10. Big Circus

Tommytinis all around!

11. Brian

Brian Well-Known Member

Sounds like I need to re-try it. I watched the first three or four episodes last year and was bored out of my mind.

12. Big Circus

You absolutely should. It's barely even the same show. It started picking up steam midway through last season and has been on an absolute tear since it started back up this year. I'd put it up against any show on TV right now.

I'm going to be very unhappy if they write Rob Lowe out of the show. His character is fantastic. I'm holding out hope since he's in the credits.

Draft saved Draft deleted