1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

parking tickets on a rental car

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by HoopsMcCann, Mar 11, 2007.

?

do i pay 'em?

1. yes

10 vote(s)
    38.5%
  2. no

16 vote(s)
    61.5%
  1. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

I just picked up my three-week rental here in Phoenix on Wednesday and actually had to initial a place on the contract that said I was responsible for all parking tickets. I'm trying to reach a point in my life where I stop treating parking tickets like saving bonds -- the longer you keep them, the greater they mature.

2. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

That actually can happen. Buddy of mine was thrown in the hole once for a night for tickets from college. He was home and a cop who was just making a warrant run just happened to come by. Cop was laughing with my buddy as he "arrested" him (I don't think handcuffs were involved), telling him it would only cost him a night of freedom and a couple hundred clams. Of course, his (now) wife didn't think it was funny at the time, this happened something like five days before their wedding and she didn't find out until he was locked up for the night.

3. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I've done that before... It works more often than it doesn't...

4. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

If you were parked for coverage reasons and you did as the tournament instructed, I'd call the people who ticketed you to see if they will void them.
    They probably will, but if they don't then you are on the hook.
    Barack Obama was in the news recently for paying off his law school parking tickets from 20 years ago. It was $375 for 15 tickets and that includes all the fines and extra costs.
    When I moved, I still had my old state's tags on my car. I got a ticket for parking downtown and I wondered if I would have to pay it. I called a buddy who works for the city and he told me to trash it.
    They don't put the tickets on out-of-state vehicles into collections. Said it would be bad PR for the city and state if tourists got letters for a $5 ticket, and he told me as long as I didn't more than one or two a week, nobody would care.

5. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

Got a ticket in San Fran.

Flat forgot about it.

Showed up on the CC bill I paid for the car with two months later.

Draft saved Draft deleted