1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

parking tickets on a rental car

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by HoopsMcCann, Mar 11, 2007.

?

do i pay 'em?

1. yes

10 vote(s)
    38.5%
  2. no

16 vote(s)
    61.5%
  1. HoopsMcCann

HoopsMcCann Active Member

ok folks,

got two parking tickets on my rental car. do you pay 'em?

2. Monday Morning Sportswriter

Monday Morning Sportswriter Well-Known Member

You'll probably end up paying them one way or another. And it's cheaper to do it when they're fresh, before the administrative fees start getting tacked on.

One ticket at the Hertz people might ignore you. But not two.

3. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Yes. Always.
    I've never understood people who don't pay parking tickets and then act surprised when they're hit with a huge bill.

Lasting memory from my place: A guy has a stack of parking tickets, fees growing by the second. So he finally takes his ass to city hall and pays up. He walks back to the office in time to see his car getting put on the tow truck. He was parked illegally and it was the ticket that put him over the line. He's chasing after the tow truck yelling, "I JUST PAID, I JUST PAID."

Pay the motherfuckers. As MMSW said, you will eventually anyway. How hard is it for the cops to say to Hertz, who had this car at this time?

4. FileNotFound

FileNotFound Well-Known Member

A pox, by the way, on cities who do not offer online payment options for parking tickets. I'm pretty sure I had forgotten how to write a check and send it in the mail.

5. markvid

markvid Guest

Had a rental at NC A&T 2 weeks ago.
    Had all kinds of paperwork from the athletic dept. - YOU MUST PARK HERE AND NO WHERE ELSE!
    Followed the map, fine, even had a paper saying I was authorized to park in this lot, put it on the dash.
    Following said game, sure enough, $25 ticket.
    I called the number on the ticket the next day, officer says "Athletics has no jurisdiction over where media can park". I ask where can we park, he says, find a spot, take your chances.
    My response? "I'm not paying it, if you have a problem, call the SID office, if you don't get the right answer, call (860) 585-2000".
    Him: "What's that number for?"
    Me: "ESPN"
    Him: "Oh, ok, we'll void it".

6. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

It might take awhile for them to catch up with you if you're out of state, but they'll find you eventually...

7. Flip Wilson

Flip Wilson Well-Known Member

The father of a college friend of mine always got parking tickets when he visited campus. He just took them off the windshield of his rental car and put them on the car next to him. He thought it was pretty funny; never heard of any repercussions.

8. Big Buckin' agate_monkey

Big Buckin' agate_monkey Active Member

Why wouldn't you?

9. I elected to avoid paying a ticket I got in LA some years back. Hertz caught up with me pretty quickly. You'll pay one way or the other. I say: Go ahead and handle business now.

10. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

I got a parking ticket in Ohio once. The dumbass meter maid didn't put the state of my tags on the ticket (it wasn't Ohio, trust me.) As soon as I saw that, I wadded it up.

11. patchs

patchs Active Member

A similar issue.
    Last year when I was in Orlando for APSE judging, I rented a car from Hertz.
    I'm on one of those pay highways and get to my exit. I realize I don't have enough change for the exact change lane.
    I figure no problem, I'll use the lane with a clerk.
    Problem, there were no lanes with clerks.
    I toss every piece of change I have, pennies too, still, I'm about 20 cents short.
    The light that tells you that you paid never turned green, I had people behind me, so I drove off.
    The next day, I get off on another exit and this time there is a person. So I tell him what happened to me the day before and ask what's going to happen.
    "Don't worry, they don't check," he said.
    It happened to me again later on, so I did the same thing, put in every piece of change in my pocket.
    Never got a call from Hertz and it's been a year, so I think I lucked out (no jinx).

12. OTD

OTD Well-Known Member

Pay it. Who wants to find out 10 years from now, when you're back in that state and get a speeding ticket or something, that they did figure out who it was, and there's a fucking bench warrant out for your ass. Off to jail you go. Not worth the $50 or whatever.

Draft saved Draft deleted