1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Parking at Madison Square Garden for NIT - HELP!!!

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Rhody31, Mar 30, 2010.

1. Mediator

Mediator Member

I know I'm the minority here but I'll explain why I drive. Getting into the city before a game is always a pain, you plan for it, leave extra time. It's getting out where you need the car. Do you really want to wait 45 minutes for a train at midnight? You get your car and usually there is absolutely no traffic and you're home before you get sleepy.

2. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

Not as true if you're driving four hours back to Rhode Island.

3. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

Another point: He can sleep on the train!

I think the last train out of GCT to New Haven is about 1 or 2 a.m. I've taken it many a time. It's about 1:45 from New Haven to GCT. Stamford is, I think, 3-4 stops from the end, so it is much closer on the train but a further drive.

I have no idea why I'm posting, since I'm pretty sure he's already left.

4. Rhody31

Rhody31 Well-Known Member

I'm taking the train, but now I'm terrified because if the game turns into UConn-Cuse at the Big East tournament, I have no idea how I'm getting home.
    The drive to Stamford won't be too bad and based on the math, the round trip tickets plus parking at the train lot will be cheaper than on-site at the Garden.
    I am not a good dealing with a city drive - I go mental in Providence - so this will keep me sane. I figure on the hour-long train ride back, I can bang out my story and notebook.
    There's no getting sleepy on the drive home. In our hectic workweek, I normally come home around 4 or 5 in the morning Mon.-Wed.

5. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Good call - if you plan on taking Subway to Garden but round trip pass when you purchase train ticket. It will save you time. It will print on back of train ticket. Just slide card through at turnstyle.

6. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Being a sportswriter is great!

7. spaceman

spaceman Active Member

dude, get me a pretzel will ya? Man, I love them pretzels.

8. if the game turns into uconn-cuse, you don't get out of there until 2:30, anyway. file from there and take the early train back (5:35 is the first one). find somewhere to hang for a couple hours, it won't be that difficult.

9. dreunc1542

dreunc1542 Active Member

Also, what happens if they win and play on Thursday?

10. Take the Acela out of Providence. It's $200, get company to reimburse as much as possible, claim rest on taxes. You can sleep and or work on the train and it's a great experience. Plus it drops you off at MSG -- leave from there too.

11. spnited

spnited Active Member

Take Boom's advice. It's by far the best move from where you are.

And don't even consider ridiculously overpriced Acela...which I'm sure you're not.

12. Pete Wevurski

Pete Wevurski Member

Whatever you do, Rhody, DO NOT use valet parking at the Garden.

True story: When Bill Stein attended his first St. Peter's game at the Garden as the new Peacocks AD many years ago, he drove up and left his keys with a valet attendant, who gave him a ticket. Bill went inside to the game. Afterward, he came out and looked for the valet guy. Nowhere to be found. And, well, neither was his car. That's because there is no valet parking at the Garden!!!

Draft saved Draft deleted