1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Parking at Madison Square Garden for NIT - HELP!!!

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Rhody31, Mar 30, 2010.

1. Only press parking at Garden is for license plates with the NYP (and possibly NJP, depending on the cop's mood) designations. Parking garages will be at least $35 in that part of the city. And always be sure to get one that is still open after your deadline. So the train is the best option. Enjoy.

2. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

Also a train from New Haven, if you don't want to drive all the way to Stamford. Fewer times, though.

3. two reasons stamford is better. 1. as kp said, it's where all the connecticut lines branch off. 2. even with traffic, it can be quicker to drive into the city from new haven since the train trip from there is at least two hours. that's never the case at stamford. even with a wait for the train, you're golden if you get on one of the express trains (45 mins stamford to gct), and there are a lot of them. have to be 80 trains a day from stamford to gct, at least.

4. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

While everything said about Stamford is true, I assume Rhody31's coming from, you know, Rhode Island. He's way closer to New Haven.

5. Lugnuts

Lugnuts Well-Known Member

Which is why I always do the spnited thing and pony up the $35 for the lot across the street.

You're talking about taking a round trip from Stamford to GC, plus parking. That almost comes to $35, right?

You cannot beat the convenience of that lot across from the media entrance. I love that lot.

I feel like I have saved my various companies money and myself and co-workers major hassles by using that lot over the years.

6. if you're a regular in midtown and know the deal, sure. if not, it's pretty easy to get overwhelmed, especially during a typical weekday, when you only travel 15 blocks in an hour with all the lights and traffic. and if you're coming from new england, as rhody is, you're probably hitting a boatload of traffic before you even get into manhattan. the train saves time and keeps your blood pressure low.

7. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

You're going to pay whether or not you drive. But the sanest and greenest method is to park and train from Stamford or even New Haven if you're coming from Rhode Island. Print Boom's subway directions and you'll stay dry getting from Grand Central to the Garden, too. Bring a book for the train ride and laugh at all of the raging drivers stuck in traffic.

8. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

New Haven might even be a better suggestion. Just check what the last train is to New Haven. It's about a 45 minute longer train ride but you can relax. If you go to Stamford sometimes parking garages fill up by station. don't panic you can also park at Marriot across highway. if that happens with me I usually take quick cab ride back to station but its also walkable. One other thought - check Amtrak which goes right into Penn Station . You can grab in Providence or New London.

9. Mediator

Mediator Member

There's a $25 option at 9th and 32rd, by the post office. Just a long and a short block from the press entrance on 8th and 33rd. It's open air, north side of the street. You're welcome.

10. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

but with heavy rain and flooding today figure driving could add an extra 2 hours of aggravation to trip vs train from CT

11. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

Definitely consider Amtrak.

12. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

Does Rhody get OT for covering this? With all the posts about how his bosses want him and his co-worker in sports to do more at his chain of weeklies, he gets sent to cover the NIT a few hours away?

Draft saved Draft deleted