1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Parking at Madison Square Garden for NIT - HELP!!!

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Rhody31, Mar 30, 2010.

1. Rhody31

Rhody31 Well-Known Member

I'm covering the NIT Tuesday night. I filled out the paperwork to get on the media list and when Local U made it (not hard to figure out which one I'm covering) the school's SID got me on as well.
    I never received in info packet as far as parking and have no idea what I'm going and I'm leaving in about nine hours. I've sent some e-mails to the NIT contact. If anyone is covering the event and can give me some idea what to do, a response or PM would be huge.
    I am not looking forward to this drive, but the drive home is gonna suck even more. Any SJers there, feel free to say hi to the bald hefty fellow in pastel colors.

2. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

Find a train station to park at, then train into the city.

3. Rhody31

Rhody31 Well-Known Member

I wouldn't even know where to start to look for that info. All I know is if I do it, I need to do it on the cheap b/c the company barely wants to pay me the mileage to get to NYC, never mind tacking on a train fee.

4. Screwball

Screwball Active Member

http://www.panynj.gov/path/journal-square-station.html

Park in Jersey, take the commuter train in. Cheap, reliable.

5. link for metro-north railroad skeds: http://as0.mta.info/mnr/schedules/sched_form.cfm

park in stamford ($10 garage connected to station, right off 95), plenty of trains express and local into grand central (fare about $18 rt), last train back leaves about 2 am. walk the 10 or 12 blocks to msg. even if you don't get totally reimbursed, it's still far better than driving into manhattan on any weekday evening. odds are you'll get stuck on the cross-bronx for a long period of time if you try driving in. and i doubt you're getting free media parking at msg. just a hunch. in this case, sanity should trump reimbursement purposes (i normally wouldnt say that). see if you can claim what you dont get back on your 2010 taxes.

6. Walter_Sobchak

Walter_Sobchak Active Member

This. Done it before when trying to get to Yankee Stadium. Completely hassle-free.

7. spnited

spnited Active Member

If drive all the way to the Garden you can park in the garage right across the street from the press entrance ... for a mere $35

8. Della9250

Della9250 Well-Known Member

Seconded. Nothing good will come of you driving into the city if you don't have to.

9. KP

KP Active Member

Can't be repeated enough.

10. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Stamford station is the way to go, Rhody. Walk from Grand Central to the Garden is like 15 minutes.

11. KP

KP Active Member

And do go to Stamford, it's where the lines start to branch off, so pretty much everything goes there.

12. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Stamford is definately the way to go. With the weather traffic into city will be a nightmare.

If you don't want to walk from Grand Central take the subway- You want the Shuttle ( S train) from Grand Central to Times Square ( 3 minute ride) In Times Square take the Broadway local downtown ( Number 1 train)
    MSG / 34th will be next stop. When you buy rail ticket in stamford they can add round trip subway card.

Draft saved Draft deleted