1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Parker gets personal with Marinelli

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Michael Echan, Dec 21, 2008.

1. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

Crickets. Not surprised.

2. zagoshe

zagoshe Well-Known Member

Not at all -- I'm not offended by it -- I'm just tired of politically correct whiny assholes always getting appeased and network exec's not having the balls to stand up and tell most of them to shut the hell up. Network exec's suck because they are spineless.

3. PeteyPirate

PeteyPirate Guest

So if the execs actually thought the Greek was full of shit and they didn't want him on the air, you would be cool with it?

4. zagoshe

If Greek got fired because he was bad at his job or he was no longer relevant or he was making too much money and that's why he was fired, then he should have been fired for that and the network EXEC'S (that's a hearty 'kiss my ass' to the wannabe grammar cops around here) should have had the stones to say so.

Instead, they did what network EXEC'S always do -- they waited until he said something that caused some thin-skinned politically correct whiny asshole to whine about it and then used that as their excuse to fire him.

5. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

Anyone feel bad for Marinelli?

He seems like a genuinely nice guy in a sport full of douches. He is just constantly getting kicked in the nuts, I mean is not doing a good job but nobody in that organization ever has. He would be better off to resign this week and go back to Tampa, and make a living as a great d coordinator. No reason to ruin his name further by sticking with the Lions.

6. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

16, 24, 29, 30... hut hut

7. Pete Incaviglia

Pete Incaviglia Active Member

The Freep made mention of the confrontation:

http://www.freep.com/article/20081221/SPORTS01/81221044/1049/SPORTS01

8. Michael Echan

Michael Echan Member

We interupt this irregularly scheduled flame-war for this announcement:

Yes, I do feel bad for Marinelli. He's going to have a hard time getting another head coaching job because of this Detroit stint, and it'll be more difficult to accurately gauge his coaching abilities because of the hand he was dealt. Hopefully he'll get a free pass by other organizations because his GM was Matt Millen and there's only so much you could do with that.

9. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

He can't get a free pass for this and shouldn't. But a little understanding by the next employer will help...

10. Pete Incaviglia

Pete Incaviglia Active Member

My dad and I seriously wonder if the guy WANTS to be fired. He keeps blaming himself, has said things like "I go into Mr. Ford's office every Monday and tell him where we failed," says he's the leader and responsible.

It's almost as if he's crying out for help.

11. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Marinelli isn't the answer, but the coach isn't the problem when a team is 0-15, especially in the NFL which gives cruddy teams easy schedules and better draft picks.

If I took that team over, the first thing I'd do is go back to the classic uniforms. The updated duds belong in the trash.

12. zagoshe

And by the way -- I think Parker is an idiot but after listening to it again and reading the Detroit New account of it -- I don't really think it is worth all of the publicity and whatnot because he did begin his sentence with "on a lighter note" which tells me he was just trying to lighten the mood with a poorly timed and not real funny one liner.

I don't think he had any malicious intent, I think he was actually trying to make a funny.

Draft saved Draft deleted