1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Paris Hilton to drunken elephants: "Never mind."

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by MTM, Nov 13, 2007.

1. MTM

MTM Well-Known Member

Check out this AP story and bulletin:

BC-People-Paris Hilton,0471
    Eds: Moving on general news and entertainment services.
    AP Photo TOK112
    Associated Press Writer
    GAUHATI, India (AP) -- Paris Hilton is being praised by conservationists for highlighting the problem of binge-drinking elephants in northeastern India.
    Activists said a celebrity endorsement such as Hilton's was sure to raise awareness of the plight of the pachyderms that get drunk on farmers' homemade rice beer and then go on a rampage.
    "The elephants get drunk all the time. It is becoming really dangerous. We need to stop making alcohol available to them," the 26-year-old socialite said in a report posted on World Entertainment News Network's Web site. Her comments were picked up by other Web sites and newspapers around the globe.
    Last month, six wild elephants that broke into a farm in the state of Meghalaya were electrocuted after drinking the potent brew and then uprooting an electricity pole.
    "There would have been more casualties if the villagers hadn't chased them away. And four elephants died in a similar way three years ago. It is just so sad," Hilton was quoted as saying in Tokyo last week. She was in Tokyo to judge a beauty contest.
    Her publicist couldn't immediately be reached for comment Tuesday.
    Hilton promised to improve her bad-girl image after she completed a jail term in June for violating probation in an alcohol-related reckless driving case.
    She announced plans to do charity work in Rwanda, but the trip was postponed until next year.
    Sangeeta Goswami, head of animal rights group People for Animals, told The Associated Press: "I am indeed happy Hilton has taken note of recent incidents of wild elephants in northeast India going berserk after drinking homemade rice beer and getting killed."
    "As part of her global elephant campaign, Hilton should, in fact, think of visiting this region literally infested with elephants," Goswami said.
    Another conservationist said elephant alcohol abuse was just a symptom of the real problem.
    "Elephants appear on human settlements ... because they have no habitat left due to wanton destruction of forests," said Soumyadeep Dutta, who heads Nature's Beckon, a leading regional conservation group.
    "A celebrity like Hilton must focus her attention on this fact," Dutta said.

BC-People-Paris Hilton, KILL,0061
    Eds: Moving on general news and entertainment services.
    GAUHATI, India -- Kill BC-People-Paris Hilton. Lori Berk, a publicist for Hilton, says she never made any comments about helping drunken elephants in India.
    The AP
    AP-WS-11-13-07 1706EST
  2. Shaggy

Shaggy Guest

I saw that too. I would love to know the whole story.
  3. Angola!

Angola! Guest

I thought this was something about her making fun of people that weigh more than her. Of course, that would be like 99 percent of the general population.
  4. Clever username

Clever username Active Member

What about the alcohol available to her? Shouldn't someone take a stand against that?
  5. Oz

Oz Active Member

My first thought when I read this.
  6. D-3 Fan

D-3 Fan Active Member

May I ask this: how is it the farmers' fault that the elephants are roaming onto their farms and getting sloshed on beer?

These fucking conservationists should be doing their job: keeping the elephants in their habitat and protecting them.

Other than that, here's another reason why Paris Hilton continues to be the butt of every joke in America, a distant second to Britney Spears.
  7. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

You mean because she didn't say anything at all and that the story is bogus?
  8. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Let it be known that TSP is in favor of drunken elephants.
  9. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

Why was Hilton judging a beauty contest? She looks like she's been hit with a shovel. And she probably should be hit with a shovel.
  10. An elephant should never drink, he just risks having a one-night stand with an elephant with too much junk in the trunk.
  11. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

That's great. There's not too many things that are funnier than an inebriated ostridge.
  12. Bubbler

Bubbler Active Member

Paris Hilton hates Dumbo!

Draft saved Draft deleted