1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Paris Hilton keeping it real

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by hondo, Jun 4, 2007.

1. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

Loved this gem from her before she reported to the slam:

"I did have a choice to go to a pay jail," Hilton said Sunday, without giving details. "But I declined because I feel like the media portrays me in a way that I'm not and that's why I wanted to go to county, to show that I can do it and I'm going to be treated like everyone else. I'm going to do the time, I'm going to do it the right way."

Wow...Paris as the stand-up guy. If she's really going to do it the right way, she'll come out with prison tats. Wonder if she's made someone her bitch yet?

2. ondeadline

ondeadline Well-Known Member

A pay jail? WTF?

3. I had to look "Pay jail" up. New York Times had it covered.

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/04/29/us/29jail.html?ex=1335499200&en=25344300f0ef0a4d&ei=5088&partner=r

SANTA ANA, Calif., April 25 — Anyone convicted of a crime knows a debt to society often must be paid in jail. But a slice of Californians willing to supplement that debt with cash (no personal checks, please) are finding that the time can be almost bearable.
    Skip to next paragraph
    Multimedia
    Hard Time Made EasierGraphic
    Hard Time Made Easier

For offenders whose crimes are usually relatively minor (carjackers should not bother) and whose bank accounts remain lofty, a dozen or so city jails across the state offer pay-to-stay upgrades. Theirs are a clean, quiet, if not exactly recherché alternative to the standard county jails, where the walls are bars, the fellow inmates are hardened and privileges are few.

Many of the self-pay jails operate like secret velvet-roped nightclubs of the corrections world. You have to be in the know to even apply for entry, and even if the court approves your sentence there, jail administrators can operate like bouncers, rejecting anyone they wish.

“I am aware that this is considered to be a five-star Hilton,” said Nicole Brockett, 22, who was recently booked into one of the jails, here in Orange County about 30 miles southeast of Los Angeles, and paid $82 a day to complete a 21-day sentence for a drunken driving conviction.

Ms. Brockett, who in her oversize orange T-shirt and flip-flops looked more like a contestant on “The Real World” than an inmate, shopped around for the best accommodations, travelocity.com-style.

4. ondeadline

It looks like a dorm room.

[​IMG]

5. Chuck~Taylor

Chuck~Taylor Active Member

When keeping it real goes wrong

6. Maybe someone can clear up Sarah Silverman's exact words.

Apparently Paris showed up to the MTV music (or movie) awards before turning herself in. I think one of Silverman's jokes was something along the lines of, "The wardens are doing their part to make the jail feel more like home. They're painting the cell's bars to look more like penises."

7. ondeadline

They're painting Chris Pronger's picture on the walls?

8. tyler durden 71351

tyler durden 71351 Active Member

That's pretty accurate. The bit is all over You Tube. Sarah Silverman just destroyed her. Jack Nicholson was busting a gut laughing. And the fact that the whole audience started applauding the news that Ms. Hilton was going to jail...wow, that's got to sting a bit, coming from your peers.

9. ondeadline

Peers? Don't the other people who were in that audience actually work sometimes?

10. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

About time Hilton finally saw that happen in person.

11. Cansportschick

Cansportschick Active Member

Is it just me, or why does eveyone care so much about Paris Hilton spending her first day in jail. I am so sick of turning on the TV and seeing her on every news program and entertainment show. Enough already.

My philosophy is that if you do the crime, you pay the time and I have no sympathy for someone who repeatedly pays with fire and doesn't learn from their lessons. ::)

12. Nicholson was also apparently shit-faced.
    Yahoo, or the AP, reported that he later gave a rambling speech in accepting an award.

Someone explain to me again .. Sarah Silverman is funny how? Because he dates Jimmy Kimmel? That's not funny.

Draft saved Draft deleted