1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Parents strike again

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by sportshack06, Jan 22, 2008.

1. sportshack06

sportshack06 Member

Didnt feel like being lazy and searching for the upteen bitchy parents threads already started, not to mention, this one just struck me as a different breed.

Local prep school here had homecoming last Friday. Small town area, one of two preps in the county. We instruct photog to get the queen only, and not the runner up, congeniality bull shit...Not to mention, the basketball homecoming queen is "crowned" on a basis of funds raised. The candidates sell tickets to the game (or have daddy buy the crown for them as has been known to happen) and the funds raised go into the school's basketball fund. Which makes the accomplishment that much more bullshit, but I digress...

Photog does just as we ask, our guy who covered the game even buries that someone was crowned as homecoming queen into his story.

I come to my desk tonight to find a phone message taken by someone in the office. Wonders why we didnt have the photo of the first and second runner-up, as this had always been a practice at our place. (side note, i'm not sure why they left this shit on the sports desk, either)

Of course, after scanning our clips of previous years, BEFORE sending the photog out on Friday, we had not done as she said.

The note then includes the names of said first and second runner-up...and then closes with the tag-line of all tag-lines.

"She (the caller) said that these girls worked so hard raising money to not get their photo in the paper."

With all these hard working teenagers these days, they may very well need Tom Brokaw to get on writing the next edition of The Greatest Generation for them.

2. Rumpleforeskin

Rumpleforeskin Active Member

Next on Fox!

3. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

You realize your omission just cost them a scholarship.

4. sportshack06

sportshack06 Member

I had to search the message three times to make sure that wasn't in there as well. I'd hate to short change a hardworking youngster a chance at a free college education.

5. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

You know, mommy can buy the crown, too. This is the 21st century, sir.

You did get the gymnastics agate in, right?

6. sportshack06

sportshack06 Member

No, bumped for swim team and AYSO...

7. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

Now we've got a problem.

8. sportshack06

sportshack06 Member

Got to please one fringe group of parents at a time.

9. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

Parents are the worst. I tell my parents that every Christmas and on each of their birthdays. They frown and yell, but I think they really like it.

10. Damaramu

Damaramu Member

I thought you guys were joking in all those parents threads I read. Joking about "that looks good to a college recruiter"....and then I got it.

A parent at a basketball tournament saying he was disappointed we didn't do All-Area football this year because it looks good to a college scout.

Despite the fact I printed All-League, which is voted on by the coaches. No......because I personally didn't pick all area that kid won't go to college.

11. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

oh, the kid will go to college ... someone will have to work really hard to pay tuition, though.

12. Smallpotatoes

Smallpotatoes Well-Known Member

Don't forget the brief on the tryouts for the regional AAU baseball team that needs to be in several different editions. Treat it every bit as seriously as if the guy bought an ad.

Draft saved Draft deleted