1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Parents say whiny kid shouldn't have been removed from plane

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by wickedwritah, Jan 23, 2007.

1. Cadet

Cadet Guest

Maybe I'm a bitch for this, but if I'm in a halfway-nice restaurant and they try to seat me near a table with small children, I'll ask to be moved. If I'm seated but not served, and they seat a small child next to my table, I'll ask to be moved. I don't make a scene and ask the host(ess) discreetly, but 1) I don't want my meal disturbed and b) the nicer the restaurant, the more I believe parents really should leave the kids at home.

2. shockey

shockey Active Member

as the father of three, i agree 100 percent. we never ever dreamed of taking our kids to an adult restaurant until they were old enough to know how to behave.

we, too, have discreetly asked for another table at the first hint of troublesome kids in the area.

as for the flight issue, a kid is out of control, thank goodness it happened while on the ground so the family could be booted. shame on them for not volunteering to get off so the others could leave on time.

we talk all the time here about the ridiculous sense of entitlement young people have today. well, they get that from the adults who have no consideration whatsoever for the people around them.

3. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

Thank you.

4. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

Here's a good tip -- if it isn't advertised as a "family" restaurant, leave the kids at home.

Unless your children really are well-behaved and will enjoy the experience. But you have to be honest with yourself about that part, and so few people are.

5. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

Like we don't already know how that's going to go.

6. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

This thread likely has larger national import.

7. writing irish

writing irish Active Member

Where I live, spawning as many screaming children as possible (within marriage) is considered some kind of virtue. Screaming, horribly behaved children are given a free pass, and those who don't like the company of howling, demanding brats are looked upon with suspicion.

I'll be glad when I move.

8. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

irish --

Tell the good plainsfolk that you intend to backhand their boisterous little fuck trophies.

I'm sure that will go over...

9. writing irish

writing irish Active Member

Yup, that'd be as well-received as if I wore a Raiders jersey around here (this is Broncos and Chiefs country). :)

10. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

Three pages before the first mention of fuck trophies? Shame on us all. ;D

11. Dyno

Dyno Well-Known Member

I could totally have seen this AirTran scenario happening to my cousin, her husband and their badly behaved 3 year old daughter. The father absolutely refuses to discipline this child for fear of "extinguishing her inner fire." He seriously said that to me. Since she's completely unruly, they are afraid to travel anywhere (if you fly, you should be glad) and limit any outings. She completely runs the house. It's tough to watch.

12. shotglass

shotglass Guest

That's my sister's step-daughter. You just want to drop them off the porch.

Draft saved Draft deleted